Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

PopUp issues, CANT PUT IT DOWN!!!

Happy Saturday to all, this is my first time on this forum and I am sure I'll be VERY frequent. My wife and I just bought our first camper, and are excited to get it ready for the camping season!

We bought this camper used, with a known issue :(...thinking I could easily fix the problem. One of the pulleys had became unattached from the flooring, as the wood was rotten and worn out. I re-secured the pulley to fresh wood to the bottom of the camper. Before this repair, apparently one corner of the popup had never been able to reach full height. Everything seemed to be going good, and the camper went all the way up (although not all sides went up at the same rate...).

After cleaning and beginning to install new flooring, I tried to put the camper back down. To my dismay, this one corner is stuck in the up position ahhhh!!!!!

My theories....point to the swedge that is attached to the cable and pulls the spring up, perhaps hasn't pulled this far in a long time. Perhaps the swedge is now stuck in this upright spot?

Anyways, thoughts and points of direction would be awesome for this newbie!! I'm pretty handy, and considered removing the lift arm from the top of the roof and dismantling this way....

This popup is a 2005 Jayco with the cable and spring lift system. It is approximately a 12-13 foot box.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Any chances of posting some pictures of the point in question or parts that are suspect?

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:08 AM   #3

Thank you so much for the response John! Yesterday I was finally able to repair it . I found that the previous repair I made to reconnecting a pulley caused further issues. The cables had become caught in the pulley and just needed to be straightened out.

On another front, that led me to remove the water heater and find that the casing had been significantly cracked. Glad we found this, it was a big safety hazard!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
happy you solved the problem. I had to replace all the cables in one several years ago. after getting it to run correctly two weeks later the winch broke. Of course they no longer made that part so needed to retrofit another one in its place. Happy camping.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Enjoy using your rig. Just remember it is a pop "up" and not a pop "down".
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!!

For goodness sake, don't do what my wife and I did with our new (to us) 2010 17 ft Forest River Flagstaff pop up. You see, we were traveling on I-80 somewhere in Nebraska traveling from Grand Island, NE to the Mt. Rushmore KOA in SD.

When we got to Mt. Rushmore, I went looking for the crank. Nowhere to be found!!! :banged:

My theory is it was never put into the center of the trailer when we left Grand Island, NE.

In their defense, the Mt. Rushmore KOA has an AWESOME scrap pile which allowed me to come up with an "S-shaped" piece that allowed me to crank up (and down) the pop up.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

Thats a crazy story!! So glad you could make it work haha.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get parts?
This is 2005 Jayco 1207, about a 12-13 foot box.

I need to replace the water heater. In addition, the refrigerator causes a humming sound from that water heater apparatus. I don't know how this is all connected...

Lastly we would like to add a/c eventually...
Old 03-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
That was the day I thought we were reliving National Lampoon's Vacation movie. I used that "S-shaped" piece of square tubing for the next two weeks.

If you know what parts you need, probably Amazon is your best bet.

If you aren't quite sure, I have used the parts people at Camping World to give me a written quote. I tell them I need to check with my "financial advisor". I then use the part identified to go to Amazon.

Not sure about your humming sound issues.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #10

Well noted, looks like the water heater itself will be a 350 buck replacement. Oh well!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #11

Go to the thrift store and buy one of those really big coffee makers they always have for sale. Hot water problem solved.