Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #1

I am planning on installing a Power Inverter, wired to a Deep Cycle Battery and the battery to Trailer so it will charge while going down the road.
What I would like, is advice on is how best to wire it, as in, what Gauge Wire, where to wire it into in the system and so on.....
I know the basics but was just wondering what you would do or have done...Thanks

GoldWingGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #2

I am planning on installing a Power Inverter, wired to a Deep Cycle Battery and the battery to Trailer so it will charge while going down the road.
What I would like, is advice on is how best to wire it, as in, what Gauge Wire, where to wire it into in the system and so on.....
I know the basics but was just wondering what you would do or have done...Thanks

Old 05-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #3

I don't think your going to get much out of that setup. Your inverter will consume power, your charger will consume power. There won't be much left to charge your battery. I think you'll be bettter of running a charge line from your tow vehicle to charge your camper batteries. Maybe go ahead and add a second battery, charge them fully at home, and keep them topped off while driving with the TV.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on what type of charging you plan to do from the bike, you better check close. I know the 1500 charging system was low, and folks who put lights on had to get a new alt. to make up the power. Unless you were planning on a low charge, it might be tough. Another idea, would be a Honda generator or another very quite lite one. Is to use a generator to charge the battery during the daytime and your low lights at night.

You didn't say what you plan to run off the battery except for lights I am sure. So let us know. Your battery will last 2 or more nights depending on what your running. Our lights only and just the one we need at a time , we have went 2 nights on the road to get to where we plugged in and were able to use the TV and extras again.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #5

I think there might be some confusion going on, as I may have contributed to that in my wording....lol
The Deep Cycle Battery will power the Inverter and will be run independent from the Bike for powering small AC items while at Camp. The Only thing the Bike will be doing is charging the Deep Cycle while on the road. I was curious as to what the best Gauge wire would be to run from the Deep Cycle into the trailer system for charging and where to run the wire to in the system. I think I may have it worked out but was looking for other possible ideas....Thanks.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #6

GoldWing -
Welcome to irv2!

Here you go;
http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volta.htm

Red Barchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #7

What dosen't make sence to me is your planning to use one battery to charge another. Why not just take two fully charged batteries. Kinda like carring a gallon of water to fill up your empty gallon jug.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #8

I'm sorry this has been such a confusing issue for some. I have it figured out now though and thanks for trying to help..

Old 05-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Chris
you summed it up well with your comment:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.. The Deep Cycle Battery will power the Inverter and will be run independent from the Bike for powering small AC items while at Camp. The Only thing the Bike will be doing is charging the Deep Cycle while on the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
it seems to me like you have stated the question well. I find this question interesting because after years of not wanting an inverter, we now also find ourselves starting to explore how we will wire ours and what componenets to buy. And like you said, if you want to run some 110 AC items around the camp at night, a light or radio, whatever, you are going to need an inverter running off the second battery. So for the question of HOW to wire it, well,.... electrical has never been my strong suit. I have a feeling I will find out within the next month or two, but maybe even you can draw a quick schematic of how you did yours or just kind of explain the wiring you used. Not only would more people understand your plan, they probably would end up copying it as well.

here's is a thread we had a couple weeks ago and one of the guy's schematic:
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7796073452/m/9681033631

and like I told you earlier, people including me, could probably learn from your experience on this matter, so show us how you did it,
but i read Jim's (Kablewizard) comment and would make sure that the stock alt will charge your new battery as you drive around. It looks like you take some lengthy trips so the alt probably has 4-8 hours of charging time.
good luck,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #10

Mike,

Thanks for the Comments.
As you said, others could possibly learn from what I have done but in this case I think I may have learned something from the Post you linked to. I actually only had it worked out it my head and that can't be drawn....LOL
Thanks for the info and the Link...