Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Propane

Could somebody please tell me why you can't use your aux. propane outlet sticking out from
underbelly of trailer. They tell me you have to by
special high pressure B.Q. , can't you just buy
a regulator and put that on pipe.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

I doubt that true. The tank on your RV and the 5 gal propane tank on your BBQ in your back yard are both filled by the same tank from where ever you purchase your propane from. So both tank are under the same pressure.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pressure regulator holds the pressure to 11 inches of water or about ½ psi. Hooking directly to the BBQ, which also has a pressure regulator, leaves you with no pressure at the BBQ. You can probably hook up the BBQ directly (no pressure regulator on it) and be OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The pressure regulator holds the pressure to 11 inches of water or about ½ psi. Hooking directly to the BBQ, which also has a pressure regulator, leaves you with no pressure at the BBQ. You can probably hook up the BBQ directly (no pressure regulator on it) and be OK.
My sediments exactly but I was told at the rv place I was wrong , so I will do some more
homework and double check.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a little different setup physically, but still the same.

There is a device called an Extend-a-Stay that is brass and connects into the propane system between the tank high pressure fitting and the main pressure regulator on MHs. This device then has 2 fittings on it. 1. To attach and additional tank. 2. To attach any propane BBQ grill that has it's own regulator.

That said, as long as your grill has it's own regulator, you NEED to connect it to the high pressure portion of the tank. Since you already have that AUX fitting, that would be the place to put it. You will of course need to get a few fittings to accomdate the standard female screw on propane hose and a cap when not in use.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
PEJ

I have two tanks on my trailer and i was getting tired of always removing one to bbq. I looked for a hose with 'quick connect' on one end and threaded on the other to connect my portable bbq to the outside trailer adatpter. Then i realized that I would have two regulators in series. We always have the stove outside anyways so my idea was not workable.
In the end, I simply purchased a 12 foot hose that I connect to one of my tanks before pulling out the bed. I finally purchased a great portable bbq with legs that can be placed under the bed overhang when not in use. My bbq is always connected, no tank cluttering up the site, and the picnic table is Bbq free.
I wish I had done this years ago.

It is snowing a foot today so it'll be awhile before use my setup.

Peter
PEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepd View Post
Could somebody please tell me why you can't use your aux. propane outlet sticking out from
underbelly of trailer. They tell me you have to by
special high pressure B.Q. , can't you just buy
a regulator and put that on pipe.
my last 2 rvs I had bought new portable BBQ from Costco ,removed hose and reg ,towed in garbage and hooked direct to propane system after regulator and had no problems,11 in/wc don't matter were it comes from.

Tags
propane