Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question

Hi Folks,
Well I finally finished restoring this little trailer. The only unsolved mystery for me is how to properly attach the canvas when setting it up. I’ve never owned one of these trailers.

If you look in the below photo, you will notice how the canvas is sagging around the front bed. The two photos below that show a cord that would most likely cinch up the bottom of the canvas, but I have no idea where to attach the ends of the cords. Each cord has an "S" hook on the end.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Craig: On my Starcraft, one end of the cord was attached to the canvas through a sewn channel in the edge. The other end of the cord was looped and snapped around round spools mounted to the bottom of the bed structure. The cord was elastic. I tried to use bungee cords hooked to the tongue of the trailer, but the gap in the canvas was too wide. The elastic cords must attach to the bottom of the bed structure, or the tension is not right for the canvas. I hope this helps. -Mike

Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #17

Renovating old starcraft

Your renovation job looks mighty fine!! Have a camera ready when you present it to your church friends. You might want to have some kleenex handy!! Keep us posted as we want to hear the end of the story.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaggy View Post
Craig: On my Starcraft, one end of the cord was attached to the canvas through a sewn channel in the edge. The other end of the cord was looped and snapped around round spools mounted to the bottom of the bed structure. The cord was elastic. I tried to use bungee cords hooked to the tongue of the trailer, but the gap in the canvas was too wide. The elastic cords must attach to the bottom of the bed structure, or the tension is not right for the canvas. I hope this helps. -Mike
Thanks Mike, it did indeed help. On this trailer, the cord exits the canvas channel at each end...each end has an "S" hook. I looking at the metal bed supports that attach the outside of the trailer, there are small holes perfect for attaching the cords. Donít know if thatís where theyíre suppose to go, but it seems to work.

Thanks.

Craig

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Your renovation job looks mighty fine!! Have a camera ready when you present it to your church friends. You might want to have some kleenex handy!! Keep us posted as we want to hear the end of the story.
Well, the entire plan just changed. I had planned on delivering the trailer this Saturday. I got a call last night from a mutual camping friend from our church. He found out about my plan and called to ask me if he could help. I thanked him, but said I just finished renovating the trailer. We got to talking about the trailer and it’s amenities. It is a bare bones unit. It has a sink and stove only. No water heater, no fridge or ice box. He suggested I re-sell the trailer and offered to match my selling price. He suggested we then pool our money and buy something newer with more amenities. I told him, "Now you tell me!"

I’ve put some money and a lot of time into this trailer, but after thinking about it in bed all night long, I think it would be selfish of me not to take him up on his offer. So effective today, the trailer is on craigslist. After that, comes the job of trying to find something better within budget. And I thought I was done with all of this....

Craig

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
God is good. I was able to re-sell the original pop up for almost as much as I had invested in it. Two days later, I found the below newer Coleman pop up for sale less than a mile from my home. It was very clean, well maintained and even had A/C. It needed very little work and very limited cleaning. We took it to our friends house last Sunday. While they were at church, I set the trailer up in their driveway. My DW made a huge sign that said, "Welcome to your new RV." When they arrived home, our friends saw the trailer sitting in their driveway and had a complete look of disbelief on their faces. It was like a scene straight out of Extreme Makeover. They love the trailer and said it is even nicer than what they had. It was a good feeling.

Craig

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Great job, Craig!

Mike
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #22

Love this little GIF, hope it shows for you.
Attached Images

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote