Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

Rockwood hard side A-frame/anybody have one?????

We currently have a Starcraft tent trailer and are considering selling it and getting a Rockwood hard side a-frame pop-up. I can't find anybody who has one that I can question. How do they work when you cannot plug into power? How is the ventilation when it is hot outside, as compared to a tent camper, with all the windows. Are you happy with it?
Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks
fotoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

Rockwood hard side A-frame/anybody have one?????

I have one, just bought it and haven't had the chance to camp much. If you want to find our more about them try forestriverforums.com . They have a forum specifically for the FR a frames. There is also a facebook group.
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Thanks

I will give it a try and check out Facebook too
Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
I did not have a Rockwood, but did own an A-Liner, so assuming it would be similar. As far as power, if not hooked up to shore power, it had a battery that would work the lights and the water pump (assuming not hooked to city water either). It had a propane tank that would operate the refrigerator and furnace. Forget about the AC, that required 30amp service.

Regarding ventilation; the unit I had included dormers. These gave large screens on both ends as well as the windows on the sides. Without the dormers (would mean no windows on the ends), ventilation is limited.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
I did not have a Rockwood, but did own an A-Liner, so assuming it would be similar. Forget about the AC, that required 30amp service.

Regarding ventilation; the unit I had included dormers. These gave large screens on both ends as well as the windows on the sides. Without the dormers (would mean no windows on the ends), ventilation is limited.
Hi, I have access to 30 amp service, even while traveling. Did the air conditioning work well enough to keep it comfortable even in hot weather? I don't mean not sweating too much in a bathing suit, I mean actually comfortable.

Thanks
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

We finally had a chance to use our Chalet for a weekend (in the rain). It was cold but we had 30A electrical service and the heat pump furnace worked wonderful.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
I know the initial post asked about how they worked when not hooked to power, so I spoke to that.

Regarding when I was hooked to power, the AC worked well even in the heat of NC summers. I will even add, that on the A-Liner I had, i could run the AC with the dormers up. This left you a fair amount of canvass as your only insulation. During the heat of the day, I would close the dormers, so as to have only hard sides. At night, it was very comfortable with the dormers open.

I was very happy with the A-Liner. The only reason I went bigger was for a true, full size bathroom and a walk around queen bed.

Tags
frame