Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Roof Replacement

I have a 96 Dutchman 12ft tent trailer. The wood is rotten. Does anyone know where I can get a new one or is it difficult to replace my oneself? Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

You can't buy a new roof. You have to rebuild all the wood work by hand. (I say that, but if you call Dutchman, you MIGHT get lucky.)
I can replace a roof myself, and I do many of them, but I've done it before and have all the tools, shop, etc.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #3

Is there any step by step photos or videos that may be able to assist me? How time consuming is it? Where abouts do you reside? I reside in Ontario, Canada
Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

No pictures or anything. You just get everything off the roof, unbolt it from the lift posts, and lift it off. Take it apart, and rebuild it like it's built.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #5

You mention that you have all the tools you need... I'm about to undertake this roof rebuild for my 1988 Jayco 10... what tools do I need? BTW, I have standard "home repair" type tools...drill, saw, screwdrivers, hammers, plyers, wrenches, etc..
Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

Is it possible to put a "utility" roof rack over the top of a pop up? I would love to securely store bikes, coolers, etc in that space. I'm thinking about engineering a way to get the trailer frame to carry the weight, not the roof. Perhaps load bearing mounts on the outside corners? Not too bulky, but removeable/expandable when the pop up is raised up. Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

Tools I use depends on what kind of roof construction.
I've used drills, hammers, chisels, multiple pry bars, sawsall, wood working tools, staple guns, razor blades, tape measures, scaffolding, etc. Nothing too special.

Tags
replace, replacement, roof