Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #1

Hi new to the forum hoping to find some answers my wife and I just purchased a new flagstaff popup this spring and when I asked about an add a room the guy who was demonstrating how to raise and lower was really discouraging me from buying one he said that if the wind catches them they really tear your camper up. wondering if there is any truth to that and also if anyone knows of a websight where you can purchase them cheaply thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #2

Hi new to the forum hoping to find some answers my wife and I just purchased a new flagstaff popup this spring and when I asked about an add a room the guy who was demonstrating how to raise and lower was really discouraging me from buying one he said that if the wind catches them they really tear your camper up. wondering if there is any truth to that and also if anyone knows of a websight where you can purchase them cheaply thanks.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
First of all

Howdy and Welcome to iRV2.

When we got our pop-up They told us we probably wouldn't use the awning to much because of problems with the wind. We set up next to a Class A our first trip and I started setting the awning up like I was told and the man next to us watched and when I was all done he came over and asked if he could make a few suggestions. I said sure and he proceeded to explaine what I did wrong.....

1. Get rid of the plastic anchors and get the good metal pins, they look like long nails with green collars.

2. Always tie the cords out to the sides straight so you don't have any pulling or pushing on the top. the poles will hold it out.

2 Get 2 rachet tie downs and put a stake at the bottom of each of the end poles and tie them straight down. We did this for years and then switched to the spring loaded tie down strap for the big boys, We never had a problem.

Our awning was up in some strong winds, if I thought it was going to be to much I took it down.
We now have a toy Hauler and with it have a awning over the tail gate and we are looking at the screen room for it. The same thing will apply, stake it down if it starts to get to windy take it down .. We like the shade and the bug free sitting out. just be aware of the weather.

Have fun and I am sure you will get more answers.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #4

The cheapest way to add a room is buy a tent !!! I tried a room added to my awning... and took it back...too hard to add the zippers were hard to join, but most of all it puts a BIG load on the roof of your popup.. and lets face it a popup roof is held up only by the cables that push the whole roof up..always use the roof supports for normal stability too..I now use an Easy up canopy for my added space. it is a 10 foot by 15 foot. weighs about 75 Lbs. so it is carried in my tow vehicle.. looking this spring to make some walls for it..just thin material with peg down capability - and easy to install..so will make it myself..will post some photos when it is complete. Enjoy your Flagstaff, I enjoy mine... just came back from Virginia Beach for a week... didnt like driving through WV in the snow !!!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
"Get 2 rachet tie downs and put a stake at the bottom of each of the end poles and tie them straight down"

What kind of rachet tie downs and how/where to you attach them to the awning? I believe that my awning rope is looped through a hole in the awing. Would I loop the rachet tie over the frame or clip in on the material?

Thanks for the great idea!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #6

We bought our Flagstaff last June and purchased the add a room. We love it! We haven't had any problems with high winds.. yet. We are in Oklahoma so I am sure we won't always be so lucky. The room also helps us to keep our little dogs from being able to run off from us as easily. It is great for those nights that it is raining and you don't want to be cooped up in the camper. Or if it's raining from one direction you can close a flap or two and still be able to enjoy the outdoors. Helps keep many items dry or shaded from the sun. I admit I always dread having to put it on. The zippers were tough at first but put some dawn dish soap on them and they worked much better. It takes the four of us to put it up without much stress, but afterwards we have always been glad we did. We have had so many envious onlookers checking it out and a few people actually wondering where we bought it. I wish you the best on your decision.
See my camping photos
Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #7

We had a screen room for our second camper and it did collapse during a bad thunderstorm. We were outside holding the awning and the whole thing blew down on us. Nothing but an awning pole was damaged but although everything was staked down tightly it did not stand up to high wind and could have done some damage had we not been there holding things. (That was dumb too - we should have been elsewhere ourselves!)