Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #1

Starting to Look and have questions...

So we are just starting to look for a small pop-up and I have a few questions. We want something 12ft or less (preferably around 10ft closed), new would be nice, but we aren't opposed to a gently used unit.[LIST]
-I have noticed some beds have supports that hold them up and some do not.
-What are the benefits and/or issues related to these two styles?
-Does anyone have any experience with the 2010 Starcraft 816?
-Has anyone towed this size pop-up with a V6 Nissan Frontier?
Any additional advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Ashley

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to the forum Tracy and I were just at Tom Johnson Camping in Charoltte looking at Popups for our son...I don't know alot but if you are just getting into camping, they are a great option. I would think (using MH experience) that the pop out bed supports should be the same in all manufactures Tom Johnson carries Forest River "Flagstaff" models..
They looked well worth the price...Good Luck...D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

Howdy Mtnbyker! If you like camping, you'll love it even more in a pop-up. I've provided my perspective within your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbyker View Post
  1. I have noticed some beds have supports that hold them up and some do not. What are the benefits and/or issues related to these two styles?
    The bed supports that attach to the trailer frame are critically important as they provide stability for the bed so that it can support your weight and not sag, or wear out prematurely.
  2. Does anyone have any experience with the 2010 Starcraft 816?
    I don't have direct experience, but do have friends that have owned Starcraft and they have had nothing but trouble. In each case, they sold their pop-up and purchased a different brand. Personally, I would never purchase a Starcraft based on their experiences.
  3. Has anyone towed this size pop-up with a V6 Nissan Frontier?
    You won't have any trouble pulling the size of pop-up you are thinking of with your V6 Frontier. For example, it can tow up to 6,300 lbs. and the Starcraft 816 only weighs 1,550 lbs. with a total loaded rating of 2,250 lbs. So, even if you load that puppy to the gills, your Frontier will pull it with ease.
Good luck with your research and have fun shopping!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

Figured I'd reply to this one too... We love camping. Always done tent camping but the last few years have been tough. The older I get the less friendly the ground feels. Thus the interest in something softer and off the ground.
Thanks for the advise!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Ashley

How many in your Camping Crowd?
I ask because I wondered how you arrived at your size preference, etc.
Do you have limitations based on your vehicle tow capacity?
When I first considered a towable, I thought my TV limits meant I could only tow a pop-up-
imagine my delight in finding a small "standy-uppy" that works really well for us.
I sure like being able to walk right in to it without "popping it up"- guess it appeals to my lazy nature!

Francesca
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I loved my pop up. I pulled it with my 1995 Chevy sport van. It was a 1977 Coleman and it slept 8, which was perfect for me and my 7 kids. We had the supports on ours, had no problem with the two kids per bed. I was too nervous to sleep on the hanging out beds. They are so light I think you would have no problem pulling it with a 6 banger engine. Mine was a crank up, but I think there are electric now. It only took me about 7 minutes to set up and 14 minutes the fold it all back in. Had to make sure nothing was sticking up so you can close all the clamps.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbyker View Post
We love camping. Always done tent camping but the last few years have been tough. The older I get the less friendly the ground feels. Thus the interest in something softer and off the ground.
I hear you loud and clear!

My wife and I loved to tent camp for many, many years. Then the baby came and we found the tent to be more of a pain, so after 3 more seasons of tenting, we decided to upgrade to our pop-up. It was wondeful and we felt like we had moved into a Marriott!

Now that our baby is about to become a teenager, we're thinking of upgrading again, this time to a travel trailer. So, we'll see what kind of good fortune comes our way in the future and maybe we'll make that switch someday. But, for now, we still love our pop-up and the memories we are creating as a family.

Best wishes to you in your search!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #8

I tow with an Xterra..and I believe they are built upon the same chassis. Your capabilities will be fine :-)

As far as bunk end supports go I would not go w/o. Imagine holding tour arm straight out from your sides... It is possible, however over time it become a bit of a strain. Wouldn't some nice supports under your arm provide comfort? Lol same concept really. Cheesy, I know hah. Good luck with your choice. You will have fun!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #9

My wife and I have slept on the queen pullout, before. I was a little nervous at first. I had to take the outside edge. Arrrgghhhh! I am no small man, at 280 lbs. Our popup has four braces under the queen bed. The weight gets distributed evenly, and it would take a ton to compromise the integrity of the heavy duty particle wood and metal braces. It just looks precarious.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #10

I don't know anything about them, but let me know what you find out. My family is looking also, and we would be towing with a v6 honda odyssey or a lexus rx 300
Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
All the popups I have ever seen had the braces. Mom and Dad had 3 pop ups growing up and a TT. A Cox pop up and Two colemans. We always loved the colemans. I have a Flagstaff and have enjoyed it. I bought it in 2010 used. Its a 2003. I haven't used it much but haven't had any problems. I plan to use it ALOT more this year.
Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #12

wondering if mtnbyker found a pop up to suit her needs? as a former PuP'er, i can assure you all of them have some kind of support for the bunk ends. some of the newer ones have cables on the inside instead of poles underneath, but they're all gonna have some kind of support!

have owned a dutchmen, palomino and coachmen, all three were nice, although the palomino a/c was through the wall and not on the roof and didn't work very well.

guessing since she hasn't posted in a while, she's found one, would like to see pics!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #13

Our new Aliner Ranger

HA! Actually we picked up our new Aliner Ranger two weeks ago, and camped at Allatoona last weekend!! It is perfect for us, and we are VERY excited!!!

Mtnbyker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	420344_3329612765965_1437856772_3241937_1217897331_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	18132  
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghornheddy View Post
I don't know anything about them, but let me know what you find out. My family is looking also, and we would be towing with a v6 honda odyssey or a lexus rx 300

Now a mini van is a different story especially one that is front wheel drive. If you are thinking of towing with this thing I would strongly advise you install a trans cooler or you will be replacing it. We towed with a Ford Windstar and we took the tranny out in two years. We fixed it and try to sell it to upgrade to a better two vehicle and when I mention the van had a receiver they asked if it had a trans cooler. Once I told them no they weren't interested.

Just somethings to think about. Just because you can put a receiver on it and it has a nice engine doesn't mean you can tow a little pop up. It's heavier then you think. Lets not forget the coolers, bikes and whatever else you take alone with you so the pop up isn't the only thing that contribute to the weight issue.

poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote