Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #1

When lowering my popup, the last inch or two gives me some trouble in that I have to realy work up a sweat trying to get the latches to snap closed.

I try to get all the canvas pushed in to clear the top for closing but so far, after 3-4 trips, I still struggle. Is there a secret to learn or perhaps purchase longer latches?

Comments will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #2

When lowering my popup, the last inch or two gives me some trouble in that I have to realy work up a sweat trying to get the latches to snap closed.

I try to get all the canvas pushed in to clear the top for closing but so far, after 3-4 trips, I still struggle. Is there a secret to learn or perhaps purchase longer latches?

Comments will be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:00 AM   #3

You need to include what make/model your pop-up is. Are you popping down with blankets still on the bed? Is this a new pop-up or did you get a used one?

Now if it was an Apache, I would ask you WHY you have canvas and if you had pulled your chains to see if they were damaged ...Apaches do not have canvas to deal with...Aren't I lucky!! Hope you get help but do tell us what you have. It makes it easier to figure out what is wrong.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #4

This is a used 2002 Rockwood model 1907. I leave the matresses on the beds and my unzipped, flattened, sleeping bags. No blankets or pillows! Could the sleeping bags be the problem?

I have lubricated the lift posts and crank gears but have not gotten under the frame to grease the channels.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:01 AM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Well howdy and Welcome to IRV2.

We leave our bed spreads on the bunk ends , but folded a little and in the middle of the mattresses. As we pop down, we try and keep the canvas as far inside as possible. When its cold, we have a little of a tight fit also. when its warm its a lot easier. Be sure everything is as low as its supposed to be and nothing is around the edges. I am sure you are cranking down until it stops, So I don't think that would be a problem .

The only other thing might be, if the top is all the way down and snug all the way around, is the latches might not be adjusted right.And it pulls the top down to much, and could put to much strain on your roof.

Let us know please.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:54 AM   #6

Thanks for your reply and welcome!

I have the adjustment of the latches screwed out as far as they will go and still notice how tight they pull the roof down (after the struggle). There does seem to be a lot of strain on th roof. And, of course, I crank the gears down until the roof stops moving down. When I go to the store I will look for longer threaded latches.

The above is a small problem compared to all the camping posibilities but I'd hate to get stuck somewhere.

We are headed for Athens, GA today to visit family but looking into the gem mining area around Franklin, NC as a possible interesting outing.

Be safe!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 AM   #7

Try popping down without the sleeping bags on the mattresses.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #8

Try putting an empty kleenex box on the bunk, then pop down. See how much if any clearence you have.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:34 PM   #9

When we had a pop-up, our door had to go on the mattress. I noticed the top fastened down a lot easier when there was nothing else on the bed. I would agree with Lorna about removing the sleeping bags. You wouldn't want anything to happen while forcing the top down. My 2 cents worth!

jen&john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:46 AM   #10

Now that's a darn good idea! Thanks!
Old 06-08-2005, 06:51 AM   #11

That's the next thing I'll try. If it ever stops rainin.

When we get all our things finished we want to head for the mines in Franklin you were kind enough to tell us about on another site. (Seems like we never get everything finished; best to just go.)
Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #12

Yep! That is the next thing to try. Sometimes two cents worth can be invaluable.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:03 AM   #13

We camped for two nights each at Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park and Claystone Park last week. I removed the sleeping bags, which had been laying opened and flat, from on top of the matresses both times we closed the PU. Sure enough, the top closed down with no problem. I could snap the latches with no strain.

It's hard to believe the little, soft, thickness of the sleeping bags had caused the problem. But the good news is "there ain't a problem now."

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #14

We can not have anything on the beds! Our door attaches to the roof and there is no clearance. I tried using 1" pink foam insulation under mattress and all I did was screw up the door handle by forcing it down. Went with that roll stuff.
Anyway I would say take it off the beds and put it on the floor or on the table but, make sure you have clearance for the bed to be pushed in.
fourgonefishn