Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #1

Thinking of getting an 'A' frame trailer

There are a few 'A' frame trailer builders. Rockwood is newer than the A-liner but probably about the same. Anyone have a 'A' frame style trailer and how do you like it. The good the bad and the ugly from set-up to break down. In the rain and in the sunshine and in the dark. Can one person set them up etc.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Friend has one. Seems to set up and take down fairly easily. Not my cup of tea.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

I am trying to downsize from a dually truck and 5th wheel to a mid size truck and a small trailer.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Although not the same, we had a tent, tent trailer and a motorcycle tent trailer. Back in the '70's I wanted one of the hard sided folding Apache trailers, but we never got it. Instead we got a 11.5' TC. I would rather have something that doesn't require any prep before using for all the reasons you mentioned. Setting them up and/or taking them down in the rain is not something I would like, no matter how easy it was.

Could you rent/borrow one to try it out before buying? It seems like a pretty significant downsize you're considering.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

I was a snow bird for 5 years then decided to move to Florida since I really like the water. Sold the house up north and bought a house in Florida. Yes, the 5th wheel was 9/10's as comfortable as a house and really was not like camping.

I also know a hard shell camper is more difficult to tow than a trailer that folds down. Trying to tow a box behind a truck lends itself to lots of trouble and usually a bigger truck.

If I buy a 'A' frame trailer it will be my 4th camper. The other campers were hard shell and we set up prior to leaving the house. I like the look of an 'A' frame when it is set up.

Also will be looking at HiLo, T@B, and other small designs.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #6

Please let us know how it works out for you.

I guess we all like different RV's for different reasons. We've always had/needed an RV that could tow something, Samurai/Tracker, boats, bike trailers, car trailers, etc. Our sequence went from tents, to tent trailers, then two TC's over about 38 years, and a short MH for 3 years. Sometimes it takes a while to find what is best for you. I hope this is what you're looking for.

Steve
Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

My camping and travel needs have changed drastically. Where I used to stay as a snowbird in the winter I now have a house. A snow bird needs a big RV while person camping does not. Looking to downsize so I fit easily into the state parks.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

My cousin has a little a liner he pulls behind his Jeep. He loves it and it's normally just him and his dog.

I'd rather have an a frame than a pop up but I'd rather have a pop up than a tent for car camping. We rented a Flagstaff HW27ks (dinette slide, walls for the bath, and an outdoor kitchen in a pop up!) a few years ago for a Big Bend trip and had a blast in that thing.

Are trail manors still around? While expensive, I always thought they were about the nicest of the foldables.

The various eggs are also nice: Casita, Scamp, Escape, etc. Something like a Lil' Snoozy is really cool if you want to go that small. These all have the advantage of way less sealing surface to malfunction at some point.

Or go wild and get one of those 21' Bigfoot fifth wheels and deck it out all retro cool [emoji41]
Old 03-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

I looked at A-Liners and Rockwood A-Frame trailers. The Rockwood wins hands down. Much better build.

While I was looking also looked at small trailers. Now looking at Winnebago Mini.
I like the colors they come in. In my mind anything under 5,000lbs can work.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #10

The thing I would miss most is the convenience, and shower, but perhaps I'm just getting older. :-))

Steve
Old 03-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #11

So the A-frames always get my attention too, but when I study them, it's a hot/cold enthusiasm for most.

As a former Sunnybrook owner, have you considered a small Camplite? Good quality, all aluminum (not sure about the floor in the newest models). Maybe a CL14DBS?
https://www.livinlite.com/products/c...BS.htmlhttp://

Walk through of a larger 16TBS:
https://www.livinlite.com/products/c...s/CL14DBS.html

Curious about your thoughts regarding this larger factory built teardrop:
Luna Teardrop Trailer

I wish ATC built a small camper into their 7x20 toy hauler body.
http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/PDF/ATC...rochure-rf.pdf

Same for IntechRV:
Discover Flyer Mini Camper

I also checked out the Minnie line, found them to be a few steps below the old Sunnybrook quality and design, but not bad overall.

You could just build your own, we did a cargo conversion as a toy hauler/camper, very basic, but the sky is the limit, super strong, and it's a blast.
Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - 4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff=7x16 CTC

Keep us posted.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #12

Those are some cool small campers.

Yesterday I was at LeMessa RV Daytona and looked at the Winnebago Micro Minnie 19'. I liked it but the wife liked the Winnebago Mini 27' trailer as the trailer she would pick. Yes, the 27' trailer with 2 opposing slides is nice but really not what we should buy.

Will keep you posted on the rough camping husband vs the Glamping the wife wants to do.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #13

A-Frame experience

I looked at a used, almost new Rockwell. The ground clearance was so poor the owner was scraping it getting it out of the driveway. There is a Dexter lift kit available. However chassis and torsion axle may not hold up to the dirt roads I travel.
So I bought a large 2010 Chalet A-frame. After 1 year off road is shaking it apart. The screws on the bottom trim were rusted with no threads left. The floors 4 corner bolts were loose. Chassis looks great. Suspension shop replace the worn out leaf springs and added Sumo-Spring shocks.
I redid the roof and body sealant. But it is a road dust magnet. Much to learn.
On the inside I had to replace the weather stripping. A-frames have lots of it. The manufacturers kit did not have everything, enough length, or adequate instructions. Improvise!
It was 7 years old and half the original price. It takes a bit of maintenance to extend the life past ten years.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #14

Pappion - thanks, I wondered how the Rockwood would hold up. I saw a used A-Liner that was junk after 5 years of use. Water got into it from a leaky seal. They look nice when new. But not so nice after 5 - 7 years.

Tags
frame, trailer