RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:03 AM   #15

First time RV owner, and we bought a Rockwood 194HW.

A little advance on me: I'm a building maintenance guy, so my jaded view applies to all RV's.

These little units are easy to tow (a big plus for me). Why drive a dually all year, only to tow your RV a few weekends every summer? It just doesn't make sense to me. So for us, it fits the bill just fine.

There are seals and seams you have to keep up on, but that's the case with anything you tow down the road. RV's take a beating, and let's face it, they're usually but from staples and thin plywood. They all require maintenance.

The biggest concern, the way I see it, is living space. If the TWO of you would rather truly spend time outdoors, they seem to be awesome. The basics of cooking, HVAC, lighting, etc are all met. But you'd best be comfortable being cozy.

But if you prefer a true home away from home, they won't be your deal.

For us, being outdoors is what it's all about, but not always. On those "not always" weekends, we already live in the sticks, so if we want the comforts of home, we stay home.

jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #16

We bought a 2016 Flagstaff T21TBHW, pull with a '17 Ram 2500 CTD, CC, SB, 4x4. Yes, I know it's overkill for towing an A-Frame but wanted better mpg's than the 9-10 mpg you'll get with a 1500 hemi. We pulled ours last year up the east coast from Florida to Philly, down thru WV, NC, TN, AL all the while getting 17 to 19mpg. We love the A-Frame and as others have said, things sometimes come apart & need to be put back together. The only drawback is the road clearance. I'll be looking at their new "off road" model in a couple of years but for now our '16 does just fine. We took 3 years finding just what we wanted and don't regret what we now have.

Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
There are a few 'A' frame trailer builders. Rockwood is newer than the A-liner but probably about the same. Anyone have a 'A' frame style trailer and how do you like it. The good the bad and the ugly from set-up to break down. In the rain and in the sunshine and in the dark. Can one person set them up etc.
I know this is an old post and you've probably made a decision by now. But I did own a Jayco hardside A-Frame popup. So to answer your 1st question I loved it! Set up and break down in the rain was no big deal. The side walls come down 1st and the roof last so no water got in. Ive set up in the dark when I did some long distant travel without using any lights. I can literally set it up solo in 2 minutes. If you want to look at a nice A-Frame check out Chalet. Hope this helps even though its late!
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #18

I have a 2011 Aliner Scout. I like to keep it pretty basic, upgrading a little at a time along the way. Like a small refrigerator I run with an inverter when off AC. I don't like to cut or drill holes in it, but would really like to put some solar cells on the roof. anyone have any good ideas for low impact attachment?
BigboyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a Ď79 Apache hard sided pop up trailer a few years ago. It was neat and attracted a lot of attention at campgrounds. Unfortunately it leaked and I was not able to solve the problem. Had I been able to, I probably would still have it today. My favorite of the A-frame trailers are those that have a bump out dormer on the front. Iíve been inside them - the dormer makes a big difference in the room and feeling of space. If money wasnít an issue, my favorite right now is the Safari Condo with a power elevating roof that includes a huge glass panoramic view. https://youtu.be/A6eDn8ZAOXU
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #20

We had an Aliner 13yrs & loved it!

We just our sold our 2005 Aliner expedition last fall. We had bought it new, before that we were tent campers and would rent a traditional pop-up and Class C now and then. There are 2 of us and we had a Lab that camped with us. We called it a 'glorified tent'. We worked and didn't want to buy a bigger camper and have it sit and depreciate and not use it enough to justify. Life is changing and we are entering retirement. Sold it last fall you a guy who does a lot of solo trips. We never had any issues with it that my husband could fix. We made lots of mods to it to help in keeping things simple and easy. No there was no shower or toilet (although there was a spot for a portapotty) We were totally OK with that. Our longest trip was 3 wks, driving RT. 66, we moved every day and it was effortless. PM me if you want more info, I could go on and on and on. Our 2020 Jayco 31UL is arriving at the dealer this week.
2shadycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #21

Good afternoon, I want to buy a new Teardrop Trailer. At the moment I am looking for a good trailer on the Internet at a good price. But I can not determine the choice of the trailer. On this site they write that there are 12 best teardrop trailer. But I'm not sure, can you help me?
larry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry007 View Post
Good afternoon, I want to buy a new Teardrop Trailer. At the moment I am looking for a good trailer on the Internet at a good price. But I can not determine the choice of the trailer. On this site they write that there are 12 best teardrop trailer. But I'm not sure, can you help me?

Maybe it's time to start a new thread.

Tags
frame, trailer

« Owners Manual? | - »