Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Thoughts on a pop-up

Hello all.
I have been wanting to get a pop-up or years and have finally started to do some serious looking. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on particular makes/models out there. Doesn't necessarily have to be new, but I'm not looking to get anything that I have to put a lot of work into just to use it.

Here's what I am looking for.

There will most likely be three in our party when going camping. Possibly a fourth. Myself, wife and two kids. At least one king sized bed would be nice. Stove and sink inside the unit would be nice for when the weather wasn't all that good. AC and heat are a must. A toilet would be a plus.

Sooo...any thoughts on where to begin? Looking to pull this with a 4Runner. I still have to check what the weight capacity is. I am thinking something between 10 and 15 feet total closed length.

nolaradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
First off find the towing capacity of your 4 runner. Then take that total and minus out passengers, cargo, etc you will haul in the 4Runner. That will leave you with the towing capacity of your TV. Then when looking at a pop-up look at the max tow weight of the trailer, not the dry weight. You will also need to know what the max hitch weight your TV can handle. Then you can look for the pop-up that fits your TV. Always make sure you stay within the limits of your TV.

Good Luck and have fun

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad you joined us here. Well I can't really comment on current day pop-ups as it's been many mooooons since we had our. 1969 to be exact. It was a "Wheel Camper" and we had plenty of great trips and experiences with it. I'm sure you'll get plenty of info here on what your looking for. Good luck with all your future travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
PopUpPortal - Index
is an exceptional site for info on everything that you can think of and everything that you haven't thought of yet.
I've been a member for several years.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Were on our 3rd 4-Runner. Our 2nd one pulled our medium sized Coleman pop-up just fine except the steepest of hilly roads. You will want to get a PUP with that front storage box. We had the Coleman with a 10' box and the front storage box. Most PUP's come in 8,10, 12 or 14 foot box. Our 99' 4 Runner (V-6) had a towing cap. of 5000. I would say we were at about 2500 - 2600 lbs. when loaded. The 05' 4-Runner we have now has the V-8 and can do 7200 lbs. towing.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
i will 2nd the comment about the popupportal web site. we're members there also, and like this site, there is a wealth of experience and friendly advice.

i'd suggest looking on craigslist for starters. check the roof, and floor for rotted wood. don't be afraid to crawl around underneath! Definitely know what you can tow, that is great advice for pulling anything! our last PuP was a coachmen, had that big storage trunk on the front, man it was awesome. we changed over to a TT because of a back injury and nerve problems in my leg because of it. needed less set up work.

most of the PuP bathrooms are gona be the 'cassette' type toilets, a little more to 'dumping' than the holding tanks in a TT, 5th wheel or MH, but still convenient for those middle of the night needs. Most of the PuP'ers don't like to cook inside because the smell will eventually get 'into' the canvas, but most PuPs are gonna have a hookup to move the stove outside.

good luck in your search! remember, if you're buying ANYTHING used, it's buyers responsibility to know what you're getting before the money and title exhange hands!
papachaz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
We bought a 2010 Coleman bayside new. The new warranty went away but never had a problem . I believe there are 3 manufactures now . Our 2nd choice Would have been jayco .
See what you can tow . in Texas we need A/c .

Front storage. Was a must for us . Did not care for potty inside the pop up
Viking now has A lot of features from Coleman .
door , larger stepper door ,
Forest river ( rock wood )
Find the weight , and floor plan you like

Maybe rent one for a weekend ?
Good luck
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Thanks for the replies. I seem to be finding more and more information every day. Maybe next spring I will be in my new (or at least new to me) pop-up.

nolaradio is offline   Reply With Quote