Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #1

WOW!

On our way to Florida we hit a hard bump approaching a bridge. The bump was so hard the trailer tungue came off the thowing ball. Furtunately, we were in the right-hand lane and able to gradually slow down with the chains holding the trailer behind.

I am positive the tongue was set on the balland locked in place when we left the CG

Hasanyone else had this problem with a 2" ball and tow bar on the Brookwood pop-up camper?

I hate to think this could happen again. We were ucky this time
icamp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #2

WOW!

On our way to Florida we hit a hard bump approaching a bridge. The bump was so hard the trailer tungue came off the thowing ball. Furtunately, we were in the right-hand lane and able to gradually slow down with the chains holding the trailer behind.

I am positive the tongue was set on the balland locked in place when we left the CG

Hasanyone else had this problem with a 2" ball and tow bar on the Brookwood pop-up camper?

I hate to think this could happen again. We were ucky this time
Old 01-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #3

This is why you should alway place a pin or padlock in the hole on the coupler latch. As long as your coupler is adjusted right, with a pin/lock it can't come off.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #4

You are right! Since I had a padlock on, the coupler latch must not have been adjusted right. I have now tightened the clamp adjustment.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:32 AM   #5

Just being difficult and bumpin' this back up.

Remember to check the coupler adjustment.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:42 AM   #6

I pulled a U-Haul 1200 miles this weekend. Had a fear that it was going to come off because of this thread. There was no place to put a coupler lock. I used a landscape timber as a lever before I pulled out to see if I could lift it off. Thankfully, we made it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:54 AM   #7

After watching the "Road Ranger" place my trailer tongue back on the 2" ball, I now crank the tongue jack up & down, after connecting and locking, to see if it lifts & lowers the back end of the towing vehicle. Actually, I do it twice to make absolutely sure there is a good connection.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #8

This is a longshot... double check the trailer and make sure the tongue is not a 2 5/16" hitch. I dont think popups would use that size but maybe if it is a big popup. Hitch couplers vary in design, some have an adjustment nut underneath that needs to be tightened to where the ball is snug in the coupler. If the design allows put a snap or a lock on the lever after it is attached, to keep the lever from opening.