Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #1

Towing teardrop

Any feedback on towing teardrop
With 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan
catspaw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
You may not know it is there. We tow a 6X10 grasshopper design tear with a 3.6L Subaru because it is wider and a bit taller than the car we take a MPG hit but towing, not a problem.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #3

I would say it depends on a number of issues. How big, heavy is it fully loaded? Does your tow vehicle (TV) have only a 4 cylinder engine or the V6? Do you have the optional tow package? Will you be towing in mountains?
Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
You may not know it is there. We tow a 6X10 grasshopper design tear with a 3.6L Subaru because it is wider and a bit taller than the car we take a MPG hit but towing, not a problem.
Have you towed any great distances? I am looking for about a 16 foot and will be towing all over the country. Don’t know if these little trailers will take much of a beating.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
I would say it depends on a number of issues. How big, heavy is it fully loaded? Does your tow vehicle (TV) have only a 4 cylinder engine or the V6? Do you have the optional tow package? Will you be towing in mountains?
It is the new Dodge Caravan with more
Powerful V6. If I go to a trailer I would ensure it had the complete package. Just don’t know if these 16 ft pod trailers will hold up to long distance towing. We want to travel all over the country
Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw2 View Post
It is the new Dodge Caravan with more
Powerful V6. If I go to a trailer I would ensure it had the complete package. Just don’t know if these 16 ft pod trailers will hold up to long distance towing. We want to travel all over the country
Other small trailers hold up well. No reason to think just because of their shape they wouldn't. Stay within the trailer's rated cargo capacity, keep the tires inflated properly, don't exceed their rated speed and you should be fine.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #7

towing a teardrop

definately. DEFINATELY at LEAST get the basic friction anti sway, and if you can, get a better anti sway. I tow a winnie drop with a nissan frontier, a slightly better tow vehicle than yours, and the one time I took it on the highway (short trip, some wind) without it. I pulled over and put it on post haste!!! a truck blew by me and it swayed more than I liked. if you do the sway, you will be fine with the power, etc, but without a monster size truck even a little teardrop can be a tail wagging the dog situation.

nrg
nrg2brn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #8

I think you are doing it right. Going small beats lugging a 5th wheel with a dually truck around the country.

I think a teardrop trailer like a T@B would last a long time and could be towed all over the country.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Way late, but yes we have towed our 1800# from Ohio to California and back and one camp site at Saddle Bag lake was at about 10,000 feet. Our tear does have brakes.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:12 AM   #10

We towed our T@G for a while with a Honda Civic. No problems. Mind you that this is in Florida where the biggest hills are called bridges.
Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm not sure about a Caravan but we tow our Aliner Ascape (13 feet, 1640 dry) with a base model Subaru Outback and it has been no trouble. Going up mountains we have to go slower (have managed to keep it at 55) but it does remarkably well. I would second the recommendation to stay well within your tow weight. We also had electronic brakes put on when we got it.
sandushinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
From Ohio to California, coming back over Tioga Pass at better than 10,000 feet. Since it was in summer I did have to watch the engine temperature and shut off the AC a couple of times. Trip to Florida two years ago multiple trips north of Lake Superior. The tear is now over ten years old.

Tags
teardrop, tow, towing