Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #1

I'd like to try to convert my '71 Bethany Citation 86 to a crank lift system. Anyone know anything about converting from a manual lift to crank lifts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #2

I'd like to try to convert my '71 Bethany Citation 86 to a crank lift system. Anyone know anything about converting from a manual lift to crank lifts?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #3

Have you looked in the vintage RV forum yet? They cover issues specifically relating to RVs over 20 yrs old. If you browsed over the old topics, you may find something, if not, just ask. Those folks over there are quite handy and may have either done it, know someone who has, or have some great ideas.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I am not familiar with your specific pop-up, but years ago Cheri and I owned an old spring assisted lift pop-up. If I were to convert that, I would have to replace the arms, get a location for the crank and lift pulley's reinforce the floor for the cables before they go up to the arms and tie it all in. I am not saying it could not be done with the right modifications to everything, but I would think the cost would well out weigh the the thought. I think a good used pop-up would probably be a lot cheaper.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #5

Well, I went and looked at a newer model today to check out the lift system. All of it was not viewable, but I got some ideas. I have access to a machine shop and a master machinest, lots of material including pulleys and cables! If I can see the attachment points it would help, but I might have to wait until after camping season to go trial and error.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #6

I have an idea If it is too nuts, just ignore me, I will eventually go away.

I have seen popups that are unusable for all intents and purposes for sale for like a couple hundred dollars. They have been in a wreck, damaged canvas, rotten flooring, etc. You may be able to get one and then tear it apart to see how it works or use for parts. I have seen some on ebay and one other place that escapes my brain right now. If I find it later, I will link to it. I know some of the people in the vintage RV section have used parts from those found in salvage yards.

Just a thought, take it or leave it. Hope it may help in some little way at least.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:47 AM   #7

Actually thats a great idea, and I'm going to look at two this morning LOL! Thanks again Sandra!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #8

I thought "Midnight Requisitions" were done at midnight !! Not 2.00 am

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote