Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #1

I have a 95 coleman utah. Everytime it rains the water tends to pool over the front bed. Roof is completely up and the canvas is taunt down sides and across the end. What else can I do to fix this problem? Any solutions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #2

I have a 95 coleman utah. Everytime it rains the water tends to pool over the front bed. Roof is completely up and the canvas is taunt down sides and across the end. What else can I do to fix this problem? Any solutions?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #3

Check your zippers......

2002 Ford Explorer
Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #4

I rechecked all the zippers, all are zipped and tight. Still significant pooling of water over the front the front bunk area. Anybody have any other ideas?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What does the roof area have, does it have a rod that pushs a bar that goes across the end canvas window to make your roof tight and slop the roof so water goes over the end wall. Or do you just have canvas that is collecting water where the roof meets this end wall?

I found a pic of your Utah on ebay. The roof area is large and the canvas sags on both sides of the center rod. To help get some slack out of your roof have you tried placing a piece of tubing across the roof in center of center bar to pull up slack and see if water will run off.
HD may even have 1x2 vinyle moulding that may work. As your canvas ages it will stretch and the stitching may pull out if you push harder on center pole.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I have a few pictures of our 99 Coleman Bayside it has a dar as discribed above that pushes the bunk end support out and raises the center of the canvas forcing water to the sides and off the canvas. I think a small dowel running from front to back supported would do the same if you dont have taht support bar. The pictures are Here and Here this is the slide out but its a closer picture of a shorter bar doing the same thing Here
Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #7

Jim
Are these bars adjustable on the Coleman, we have had two PU and both had adjustable bars maybe all they need is to make the bar longer to push the bunk end out more.

Tom

00 Chevy 2500 6.0L 3.73
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Sunny, yes they are adjustable, and when they go in they do push the canvas up in the middle.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great ideas..But, none have seemed to tighten up the vinyl canvas over the front bed. I tried extending (lengthening)the pole, that just pushed the canvas out farther and pulled on the seam. I'm afraid if I push it out any more it will rip the tie strap out of the seam. It pools on each side of the bar. I wondered if maybe the elastic cord under the bed that secures the canvas may be stretch out and therefore is not pulling the sides down as it should although everything seems tight. What are your thoughts on that? Any suggestions on what I can use to arch the roof and keep the water off? Thanks for any input.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Its easy to sit here and think you can picture your problem but unless we know for sure we cant. I am not sure how easy or not this might be, but if you can post a picture of the inside and out side of one of the ends when its up and a close up of how the bars are. it would be a lot easier. We will all be watching.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #11

I wonder if perhaps you are tightening up the canvas too much rather than not being able to get it tight enough for water to run off. Our bunkend is never real tight and the water runs off without pooling. Try putting the pole in a somewhat loose position and see if that makes any difference.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #12

We also have a 95 Utah,we found that the seams were coming unglued around edges at top ,went back and reglued and puddles stopped.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #13

Well, We spent last weekend in the driving rain of upstate New York and didn't have any leaks. But did have consistant pooling. I noticed that the water developed on both sides of the pole. My unit does have the same set up as the pictures from kablewizard. I was wondering which seams that srds reglued. I will look at them and see if that is where the problem lies. I did replace all the elastic cord under the bunks and that didn't seem to have any effect on the water. Once the pool is formed (one side is significantly larger than the other) the water does slowly overflow and runs down the side. I am just afraid in a torrential downpour that the water will not run off fast enough and tear or collapse the pole. I did try to loosen (shorten) the poles and it just made the pools bigger. Thanks for any other suggestions anyone might have.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #14

The seams are on the inside above your beds,the seams running above your windows.On the top of your canvas,inside.