Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Wax for the pop-up

I just bought a used 2000 Viking. It's like new and I would like to keep it that way. Is there a particular wax I should use on the shell? This is our first camper and we hope to try it out soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #2

They do sell special cleaners for the black streaks that show up from time to time but any good auto wax will work fine on the hard body of you PU. Just note that as with any car getting the wax on the canvas will show up and can be a real bear to get rid of. Keeping the body waxed will help with the black streaks and other grime that builds up over time and will also help with the inevitable tree sap and bird droppings too. Keep it clean and you will enjoy your camper for years and years.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I will get it waxed today.
tmbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have used a product called Gel-Gloss. It is both a cleaner and a wax in one. It comes in " Reg." and "Heavy Duty" formulas. If you have a surface that has some black streaks and grim including road tar you pour a small amount onto a terry cloth rag and rub the grim off working in a 12" to 18" area at a time. Don't rub all the Gel-Gloss off, let it haze up for 15 minutes as you work down the trailer. Come back and then wipe off the dry Gel-Gloss with a clean soft rag. You will go thru a bunch of rags to do a whole trailer depending on its size. Every time you pour a dollip of Gel-Gloss out onto your rag use a clean section. After I'm all done I'll put a pile of rags in a 5 gallon pail and wash them out to reuse again. With a PU you should be done in no time. I used it on my old Coleman PU. This past weekend we were camping next to a guy who bought a used 98' Aerolite trailer. He said he waxed the trailer, but it looked yellowish and oxidized and very streaky. I brought out my jug of Gel-Gloss and did a section, which brought it back to its white color and very close to looking new. Gel-Gloss is sold at most RV dealers. I have seen it years back at Wal Mart.....but not in the last 5 years....I'll wax my 24' trailer about 2-3 times over the season. Usually doing one side per wash. It also really helps keep your decals very bright and colorful....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #5

The gel-gloss seems like a great product. I have ordered a quart to try. Thanks. I saw your pics from the Halloween campout. This will be our 4th year at Findley State park. West branch is just up the road from us but, we meet some friends at Findley. We used to tent camp until last year when the storms hit and my wife and kids slept in the van. Thats the reason for the PU.

Anyway thanks for the info and link.
tmbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We will be at Findley's Halloween Campout this year. Site #232 I'll have the same graveyard display.

We have done Mohican 2 times, West Branch 3 times.....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote