Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #1

We've been out of the camping scene for about 6 years and now that the kids are gone.... ok, almost gone... we've been playing with the idea of another RV.

Eventually, we'll have another 5th wheel but for now we're thinking something smaller for just the two of us that can sleep up to 4 with a permanent bed and is tow-able behind a 350 powered conversion van. The Mrs has put the kabobs to anything soft-sided so a Hi-Lo might just be the thing. We've never looked at, or even considered, a Hi-Lo but the last tt we had pulled pretty hard behind our van and I would rather travel like it's not there at all!

Can anyone give us the pro's and con's of a used Hi-Lo?

(EDIT: I just found "Trailmanor". I know nothing of these, either. Any information on these type trailers would be appreciated.)

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #2

We've been out of the camping scene for about 6 years and now that the kids are gone.... ok, almost gone... we've been playing with the idea of another RV.

Eventually, we'll have another 5th wheel but for now we're thinking something smaller for just the two of us that can sleep up to 4 with a permanent bed and is tow-able behind a 350 powered conversion van. The Mrs has put the kabobs to anything soft-sided so a Hi-Lo might just be the thing. We've never looked at, or even considered, a Hi-Lo but the last tt we had pulled pretty hard behind our van and I would rather travel like it's not there at all!

Can anyone give us the pro's and con's of a used Hi-Lo?

(EDIT: I just found "Trailmanor". I know nothing of these, either. Any information on these type trailers would be appreciated.)

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #3

Kyle,
We owned a TrailManor Model 2619 for 3 years (1998-2001). When our travel needs changed we moved up to a 28' TT (see below). There are several differences between TrailManor and HiLo that I think you need to see in person (RV show, etc.) to determine which one fills your needs best. For example:
1. Size for size, TrailManor is about 40% less weight than HiLo, so fuel savings comes into play.
2. TrailManor opens manually (approx 2 min. after you're experienced), while HiLo opens in 15-20 seconds hydraulically.
3. If you buy a 24' HiLo, 24' is what you have. If you buy a 24' TrailManor (in towing mode) you have a 31' trailer opened.

Both are quality built units with features that are different in many cases. I suggest you start by reviewing the websites (www.trailmanor.com) and (www.hilotrailer.com). Once you feel you know all there is to know from the websites and brochures, go "touch & feel" at an RV show or at dealers near you.

Best wishes in your search.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:26 AM   #4

Thanks, Paul.

I would guess that you didn't have any serious complaints about your Trailmanor? There is a TM dealer not too far from us and I'm thinking of taking a look tomorrow but they only have new models and the prices.... wow, the prices are triple that of what we paid for our 21' tt new in 97! We were looking to get an inexpensive set-up, yikes.

I was hoping to pay cash for one after my trip to the desert, but a new one is definitely out of the question.

Thanks, again!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #5

Yeah, they are really pricey. We looked at them as well. We have not been able to find any used ones though. Apparently, the people buying them are keeping them. I guess that says a lot about them huh!

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by Live 2 Camp:
.... wow, the prices are triple that of what we paid for our 21' tt new in 97!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are plenty of used ones out there. You can do a search on E-bay, or Google TrailManor, or go to the TrailManor Owner's site, www.trailmanorowners.com. Click on "forum" then scroll down the page to "Buy or Sell a TrailManor". You should find something that will be in your price range or at least give you some ideas. Also, go to www.nadaguides.com to check the pricing on TrailManor after you find something that looks promising, so you can verify the asking price with reality, then negotiate down to the price you're willing to pay.

Yes, we were very happy with the quality of ours. It was our personal circumstances that changed so we had to move to a larger trailer for longer term living. When we were shopping in 1998, TrailManor's and HiLos were going for approximately the same price per comparable length.

Yes, they are a bit pricey compared to a standard TT. But, if you want or need to get away from canvas (our primary reason), want something easy and light to tow, and a quality unit, you will "get what you pay for." When we bought ours in May 1998 we paid about $3,000 more than we paid for our 2002 Tahoe 3 years later in 2001.

I hope this information helps.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #7

Just brought home a 22 foot towlight. 200 miles on the highway and a very nice driver indeed. no or very little sway and approx 15mpg, o4 envoy xuv long wheel base, auto ride, full sway and load leveling equipped. prodigy controller.

leaving in Sept for a 6 month tour of the country. I like how hi-lo builds the product with a higher level of quality, so we will see.

2004 GMC XUV
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #8

We have a 2003 HiLo Towlite 22' and love it.. now we are selling it to buy a small Winnie to run between our grandkids... 2003 was the first year they went to 15' tires, and I would recommend you get one 2003 or later.. it tows great and we have been through some strong winds with not problem.

We are located in NW Phoenix and have our Towlite described on a website I setup www.bhclife.com/hilo/ so take a look and if interested, give us a call. We towed with a 2001 Jeep GC with the 4.7 engine and it ran up hills past the big rigs. We will include our weight distribution hitch with the unit.

bob H
Phoenix
2003 HiLo Towlite 2203T, moving to a Winnie View
Old 10-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #9

WE to had the urge to have a TM and after a couple of years of searching we fell acrossed one that was used but in good condition We bought a 1997 2619 in 2004 for a very reasonable price It needed quite a bit of cleanup and updating .We cleaned it up put in a new flip up table,added t nice wallpaper boarder,I put in new carpet throuhgout we put up a couple new pictures and made new cusion covers and curtains Wow it looked great I also spent my memorial weekend fixing scrapes and small bodydings on the outside and repainted it (IT is what I do for a living) This camper looked great and was very comfy The TM pulled great behind our F150 We got 17mpg while towing it A TM would be a great choice and they hold their value very well When we bought our TT this last april we traded it in and we received 2300$$$$ more for it as our trade than we paid for it and this was after many many camping trips and lots of fun Check them both out and buy what YOU want

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #10

I just got my third Hi-Lo. This one is the oldest one I have had, and it is the greatest. Only 18', but roomy inside, lots of storage, and has a big kitchen counter, unlike the new small Hi-Lo's. The PO really took care of it, as it is like new, but a 1968! Not only does it raise and lower hydraulically, but it has a power tongue jack, and the fridge, and re-circulating toilet work, too. No leaks, roof still sturdy. So, Hi-Los are built to last. I don't think I have ever seen an old TM that hadn't started leaking, and not closing properly. This is so much easier for me to use by myself, anyway. I'd go Hi-Lo everytime. Penny, TX

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #11

My parents have a HiLo and I find that it seems to be very cramped. My father sleeps on the couch that converts to a bed and my mother sleeps on the dinette. I would hate having to make the beds each night and break them down each morning. No HiLo's for me, it is way to confining.

'01 Coleman Fairview W/GlideOut
Fairview 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote