Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

What to check when buying?

I've found a few camping world and Craig's list popups and would like to know what to check for or ask
When looking to purchase? Several
Are colemans .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Start with the tires, brakes, and axle(s). Tires are out before wearing out, check their dates on sidewall. Then make sure the body of the RV is undamaged. Get the mechanism to raise the roof demonstrated, all parts should work as they were designed. Moving inside, check for water leaks and damage. Canvas should be in good shape and waterproofed. All zipper windows and screens should work. Cushions and cabinets should all function. Electricity and water systems should be tested/and demonstrated. Also the slides and roof should retract and stow as designed.

Good luck!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

how will I know if the canvas is waterproof?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
It often has a waxy texture or pour a glass of water on it, it should bead up and roll off. Canvas that haven't been taken care of will show places where the water proofing has worn off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Don't forget to check for water leaks both internal and external. A rainy day works well
Old 09-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #6

Besides all the obvious things, Fridge, tires, wheels, etc. check the floor. Many older trailers were made with underlay plywood (chip board). If this ever gets wet it is done. Many pop ups just use a sheet of nylon fabric to protect the plywood and eventually it will pinhole and begin to leak. mine is a 2005 Rockwood, supposedly a high-end pop up. Mine had rot spots by the front door and behind the wheels, this is a bugger to fix. If buying a used one, push around the front door and behind the wheel wells. If it is soft run, don't walk away. If you buy one have it under coated every few years to protect the plywood.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafish View Post
Besides all the obvious things, Fridge, tires, wheels, etc. check the floor. Many older trailers were made with underlay plywood (chip board). If this ever gets wet it is done. Many pop ups just use a sheet of nylon fabric to protect the plywood and eventually it will pinhole and begin to leak. mine is a 2005 Rockwood, supposedly a high-end pop up. Mine had rot spots by the front door and behind the wheels, this is a bugger to fix. If buying a used one, push around the front door and behind the wheel wells. If it is soft run, don't walk away. If you buy one have it under coated every few years to protect the plywood.

I had an issue where that fiberboard behind the front roof slope got wet, and it got nasty...

It was quite the effort to rip it all out and clean it off. I found a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood at home depot that they just gave me, then I stained it with my deck stain, about three coats, for waterproofing.

Then I glued that thing in place with liquid nails and now if it gets moisture in there it will be no problem at all for certain
Old 09-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #8

Don't know how old you're looking at, but fifteen or sixteen years ago the Coleman campers (made by fleetwood back then, I believe) had issues with their plastic roofs.
One of the issues was warping causing a separation from the seal to the lower box.
It's actually a good idea to check how well the roof seals to the box when it is folded down on any brand.
Walk the floor, maybe with a little pep in your step. Some brands skimped on sealing the undercarriage and rotting wood is the result.
And, as mentioned, the lift system. Crank it up AND down. A hitch in its giddyup can make for an interesting trip home.

Good luck. My old Starcraft is still going strong after 18 years. We have to smile every time my sister pulls it to the lake.