Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Window A/C unit question

So I recently purchased a 1997 jayco eagle 10 pop up unfortunately it does not have a/c, I've been researching and im wanting to put a window a/c in the box somewhere I've seen it done many times but I just don't know the best location for it, I thought about on the side but the only place possible for that is under the table I also considered the front or back but I'm unsure I plan on building a door from the existing siding that I cut so when its not in use I can slide it in and latch the door any advice is appreciated thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is non-standard but here is what I did in my PUP days.

I removed one Propane tank (I only used one at a time anyway) and cut a hole in the front of the unit.. Mounted the window A/C on the propane tray and in the hole..

Now on a canvas PUP this is not going to make a lot of cool, but it will suck a lot of HUMID out of the air and that is a good thing.

Some PUP's have a strong enough roof to support a roof mount, this would be better.. but I truthfully do not recommend it.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This is non-standard but here is what I did in my PUP days.

I removed one Propane tank (I only used one at a time anyway) and cut a hole in the front of the unit.. Mounted the window A/C on the propane tray and in the hole..

Now on a canvas PUP this is not going to make a lot of cool, but it will suck a lot of HUMID out of the air and that is a good thing.

Some PUP's have a strong enough roof to support a roof mount, this would be better.. but I truthfully do not recommend it.
Thanks for your reply I've looked it up and the roof on mine isn't rated for it so I was left with this idea I planned on making a wood frame to slide it into when used so that would help the structure and support the a/c thing is with the front there is a box that measures 1ft 8in and 1/4 I figured I would have to alter the box some if I did the back wall there isn't anything there so ot would be easier installing but I would have to make a support off the bumper possibly to help hold it maybe make the door where it drops down and put bracing on it to rest on someone told me a windowless a/c would work to so there aren't any alterations to the actual box but I didn't think they worked as well I have heard it wouldn't cool much during the day but as you said would help with humidity which can make a good difference on the the heat index

Tags
window