Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Today I started getting my pop-up gutted. It's a Coleman Sun Valley, I think around 1980-1983. I took out the water holding tank (had a hole in the floor) and will be working on completely replacing the floor and redoing the ceiling.

Has anyone done this to their pop-up? I could sure use some advice. I'd like to work on it through the winter and have it all decked out by next summer. We don't camp with it much, but I'm sure hoping that next summer will be a different story.

So far....here is what I've thought about...

1) adding a small fridge
2) adding a water tank
3) adding a speaker system in the ceiling
4) I'd LOVE to redo the wooden paneling in there, but not sure what to use to replace it.

Does anyone know of any good places to go to get this replacement stuff? Any other things I could do? I'd like to make it nice and self-efficient (be awesome if I could get away with not needing a generator, even if I could use solar panels instead).

Anyways...has anyone done a project like this who could offer some advice?

Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner

Welcome, it looks like nobody has responded to your questions. I hope you are continuing to visit with us.

Check out camping world or other RV parts catalogs for appliances for your "new to be" pop-up. There is nothing special about the paneling used so anything you find at a home store or lumber yard should work. Putting in a speaker system shouldn't be too hard. If you can't find a way to hide the wiring, you can always use the low voltage wire tracks found in Home Depot, Lowe's or other home centers.

Can't say that I've done a job like this, but it is not one that I would shy away from if it arose.

Let us know how you make out. Also, check out the Vintage RV forum here at iRV2.com

John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
You can get a lot of information from Popup Explorer.com and PopUp Portal.com on rebuilding a popup camper. Lots of members have done some major restorations.
MissLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Hi-- Most rv dealers stock the ceiling panels and wood interior panels - like the stuff at the big home centers - but without the lines in them.
The dealer where I used to work always carried 10-12 sheets of ceiling panels - and a whole bunch of interior paneling- to try to match what you had in the unit.

Check out some of your local repair dealers- You could use the FRP that the home centers sell for the ceiling panels- its a nice pebble grain finish and its never going to rot on you.

any other questions- drop me a jingle
Brian Osberg

Parts Manager
Partsmgr is offline   Reply With Quote