Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2004, 05:51 PM   #1

Hello
New to the group. Here is my first post..

We have a newly aquired 01 Intruder. We bought it used from a private party. After we got it home and had time to give it a good inspection, we noticed that the paint was chipping off from around the windshield. I called Damon for help (I didn't think a 2.5 year old coach's paint should be flaking off). The Damon factory folks were not very helpful, said in essence, tough luck. The rep said that the coach's were sent out to a contractor for painting, and they probably did not prepare the windshield area properly before painting. They suggested that we go to a local dealer for repairs and said it could not be more than a couple of hundred dollars to fix.

WELL after three estimates, it looks like it will be over $2000.00. Called Damon again, and again they were not very helpful.

Has anyone had paint problems, and if so are there any suggestions on how to deal with the Damon factory??

Thanks in advance

What a great site !!!!!

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Intruder01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2004, 05:51 PM   #2

Hello
New to the group. Here is my first post..

We have a newly aquired 01 Intruder. We bought it used from a private party. After we got it home and had time to give it a good inspection, we noticed that the paint was chipping off from around the windshield. I called Damon for help (I didn't think a 2.5 year old coach's paint should be flaking off). The Damon factory folks were not very helpful, said in essence, tough luck. The rep said that the coach's were sent out to a contractor for painting, and they probably did not prepare the windshield area properly before painting. They suggested that we go to a local dealer for repairs and said it could not be more than a couple of hundred dollars to fix.

WELL after three estimates, it looks like it will be over $2000.00. Called Damon again, and again they were not very helpful.

Has anyone had paint problems, and if so are there any suggestions on how to deal with the Damon factory??

Thanks in advance

What a great site !!!!!

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Old 11-04-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jack & Jane, welcome to our website and thank you for joining the forum. Sorry to hear of the problem with the paint job on your new to you Damon motorhome. You might try contacting the company Damon used to do the job and see if they will extend warranty on to you as a second owner. This is not usual but does not hurt to ask. We look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Good luck in resolving the paint issue. Wish I could be of more help.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome.

We keep you all posted on the saga of the paint.

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Old 11-06-2004, 06:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
We have a Damon Ultrasport 2000 have not had any problem with it. Call the ones that done the paint for Damon if they do not do good work let us know Jim J
jimandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #6

It's worse than we thought !!!!

We finally got the Intruder in to the shop for some warranty work. I showed the paint problem to the service manager and he said it is more than just the paint... apparently, the front windshield is coming out!!! He showed me how the windshield has shifted causing the gasget to move. There is a definite possibility that the windshield could fall off.

He is going to contact Damon and see what the fix is.

Anyone else have this problem?? If so, was Damon helpful or not?? My initial contact with the factory was less than rewarding.

Any help/advise is GREATLY appreciated.

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Old 11-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #7

Intruder01,

We have friends with an Intruder. I believe it is an 01 also. They had a problem with a large gap that developed at the edge of the windshield that you could put your finger through. They took it to several places, had several windshields put in, to no avail. Had it shipped back to the factory and they found that a brace that supports the front cap had not been put in. The factory put in the proper bracing and a new windshield. They have not had that problem since. If you need the name of the person at Damon that they dealt with, respond to my e-mail.

RetiredSKP
Old 11-14-2004, 06:11 AM   #8

Thank you.. private message sent.

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Old 11-19-2004, 08:52 AM   #9

Sorry that I haven't been able to get the name of the person at Damon to contact. My friends could not find their paperwork that had that information. Someone in customer service at Damon should be able to help you. If they happen to deny that this ever happened to an Intruder, send me another message and I will press further for information.

RetiredSKP
Old 11-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #10

Thank you..

I just got an email from the Damon rep tonite (yep, 7pm on a Saturday night).. here is a quote from his email regarding the repair of my windshield:

"Regarding the windshields, I have reviewed the file and made a determination. Unfortunately, Damon will not be able to participate with this repair. This conclusion was made due to the facts that: the Damon Limited Warranty expired on 10/23/02, there is no history of a continuing problem,and we have the coach registered to another onwer on file. While I know this is not what you had hoped to hear, I trust that you will understand this decision. Please call or reply if there are any additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your attention."

We recently purchased the coach and hadn't filled out the transfer from the original owner with the Damon folks. However, unless I can figure out how to nip this in the bud, I'm going to be left out in the cold by Damon.

Any help that you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Old 11-22-2004, 05:55 AM   #11

I emailed the rep back, with copies to the President's of Damon and Thor, as well as the marketing and customer services directors. Essentially stating that they know there is a problem with the windshields in these coaches, and asked them to do what is right.. stand behind their product.

We'll see happens next !!!!

2001 Damon Intruder 369
Old 05-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #12

HI my name is Mark im am so sorry for your inconvience about your paint problem I ideal personaly with Damon coachs I do all there warranty paint work.We do all La Mesa Rv paint work for Gulf stream, Tiffin .There no problem we cant solve i really would really like an oppurtunity to look at your unit my no# is 19093277934 and located in san bernardino mobile service provided for your convience thank you for your time looking forward to hearing from you thank you a have a nice day
mark909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #13

I have a 2003 Intruder that was rebuilt, at the Damon Factory in early 2008 due to body "cracking" problems. Now it is happening again. It now has about 200+ hairline fractures (plus 1 crack in the side rear that I can put a quarter in. 3 RV body experts tell me its "stuctural" and not paint related.
I am looking for someone to help me. A cheap repair would only re-introduce the problem a year from now.
Calgary Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: They should have E-mailed you a PDF of the paint codes

Second, that same information will be somewhere in the rig, I have a 2005 and in my case it's in the bedroom wardrobe, Look for a full size page "Sticker" with a bunch of numbers, if you want a "Sample" I can provide mine.

Now, copy it, in fact Photograph it, with a good digital camera, save to comptuer and print it out.

Take it to a Sherman Williams Auto paint store.. If they will not mix it for you then contact R. Williams paint in Elkhart, IN.

Damon is quite correct, they do contract out the painting, Currarah Designs in Elkhart did mine. (Spelling I'm not sure of)

http://www.rwps.com/