Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
We have covered 500 or more miles per day when heading west and passing through areas we have seen previously. Limit the marathons to two days and DW and
I will share the driving with my wife driving 2 one to two hour stents. When not worried about total time, like the OH to FL trip in the winter, we usually limit ourselves to 350 per day without the wifely breaks.

The longer days are doable, but you'll know you spent the day on the road. Back in my working days, I wouldn't have hesitated to cover 1,000 miles in two days. Fully understand the desire to make the most of the lilited time off!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Folks, the OP asked a specific question on what it might be like to cover 1000 miles in 2 days. They didn't ask about why you don't do it.

Is it doable? Yep, and as has been said by a few it will be rough. We went through similar issues before we retired and not using too many days "on the road" as part of our vacation. While I love driving my MH, it isn't as fun as sitting back, under the awning and enjoying the relaxed life.

On poster made a great suggestion about getting ready to get out just as soon as possible after the last day of work even if it is only for a couple hours. I LIKE THAT. Why?

Once you get going calling that Day 1, you have a captive audience. LOL No one will be a big problem because there is no reason to sleep in. BTW, I'm not going to get into the debate about allowing anyone to be sleeping in the bed vs in seat belts while driving. If you have kids they just tend to enjoy the excitement of going down the road...unless they are teens that would rather be anywhere but with you. LOL

FWIW, I plan an average of 50 MPH from start to finish and toss in an extra 20 minutes for every 3 hours so that I could get up, stretch my legs, do the bathroom thing and get back on the road. (Sitting for more than 3 hours is NOT good for your circulation and in worse cases can cause blood clots) Now, you might use a higher MPH average but we only do 60-65 MPH because our CRV is limited to a 65 MPH towing speed and we are no longer in such a hurry. Following that kind of schedule means you can get down the road and find a Wallydock kind of situation, get to sleep early and start out the next day early with 850 left. BTW, if I know that our route is all open roads with little chance of city traffic then I use a 60 MPH average instead of 50 MPH for planning purposes.

On day 2 with about 850 miles left you could consider putting in a long day of about 10 hours and knocking off about 500-600 miles depending on your average speed. Getting started by 8 am means you should be stopped NLT 8 PM if all goes well. Still, depending on the time of year and sunset times you might want to be tucked into your second stop before dark if that is before you get in your 10 hours of drive time.

On day 3 that could mean you have between 250 & 350 miles. If you get an early start you can get to your destination in 8 hours or less.

If you are willing and able to go faster you will be able to adjust day 2 and 3 accordingly. The object is to get to day 3 destination early enough to get settled in and relax a bit. For the most part I doubt you will be up for much of anything unless and getting some rest for day 4 will help that go better.

Keep in mind that as the driver you may be more entertained while driving than your passengers. You didn't mention the make up of your family but they might find themselves able to entertain themselves if the TV is available or they have other things to do. My wife is quite happy napping a lot.

Don't forget to consider your needs for the return trip either. There is nothing worse than going to work the day after you spent 10 hours on the road.

One other point. If your family hasn't had time to prepare for a long day in the RV you could be surprised how well they either do or don't adjust. Make sure you listen to them as you drive along and be prepared to adjust day 2 a bit to help them enjoy the trip. There is nothing worse than having a bad experience and making future trips less exciting. Things like preparing food to eat while driving like sandwiches they will enjoy eating can go a long way. Having something like chili or soup made before you go can be a good idea too.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last month I went from Phoenix to Bakersfield, about 500 miles, in one day. About 9 hours with a fuel stop.

I'm 70 so you should be fine.

Keep in mind I did it on a Sunday, no traffic, no road repairs, no wind and 70 mph speed limit most of the way.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
It will depend upon how fit you are and how badly you want to get there. Yes it will be a chore but as you say you have limited time.

We routinely travel 1800 miles twice a year while traveling to and from snowbirding. We do it in 3.5 days. We get up at 6am, have breakfast and are on the road by 7 - 7:30. We travel at a speed between 55 - 62. Slow but steady. We make frequent stops to stretch our legs about every 1.5 - 2 hours. When fueling we top up the tanks use the washroom and leave. We don not spend a lot of time waundering around the convenience store. Yes the days are a bit longer but driving at a reasonable pace means the drive is less stressful.

If it is only two days it is doeable. Get lots of rest before you leave, drive reasonably and you can do it. If tired stop and have a 20 minute nap.

However if conditions are not optimal we stop and wait for the winds, rain, etc to pass.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
You've all made good points, but one is missing. What are you going to do when you get to Michigan? If you're staying with someone, it would be far cheaper to drive a car. One night in a motel is far cheaper than driving an RV 1000 miles. If you are talking about making this trip now or the next 3 months, it's a no brainer, leave the RV parked and winterized, free of road salt, and take a car or van.

If you're talking about a summer trip, then for me it becomes a question of who's riding? My wife and I used to think nothing of driving across country in huge jumps. When the kids came along, we continued doing the same thing, having built wonderful memories of campsites and places. When the kids reached teen years, they didn't like the long days spent in the car, even with VCR and games, so we had to change our plans. Shorter days, more things that the kids wanted to do. Now that the kids have flown the nest we still enjoy traveling but in less lengthy hunks. We stop and look at many of the things we used to only know by highway signs. Different strokes for different folks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #20

I will be driving a motorhome pulling a toad. I also will be entering Canada around Buffalo NY. This trip is planned for mid summer so I am hoping for good weather. My first stop in MI will be Newberry which will require me to cross the Mackinac bridge. Has anyone experienced that ? I myself would be doing all the driving but will have my wife and mother along. If my wife would do some or even a little of the driving then it would be no problem at all , but I am not seeing it. Any ideas on getting her into the drivers seat ?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
I've driven and biked (early morning) across the Mackinac bridge. Your rig will have no issues negotiating the roads or bridge. If conditions are windy or unsafe, they won't let you cross. Beautiful views.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #22

1000 Mile ride.

I don't see it as a big deal. Us working folks have to make use of our time.

In November, when I purchased our most recent coach, I left home about 8pm Thursday night in a rental car to make the 660 mile trip to Syracuse. Arrived there at 6am on Friday morning and purchased the RV. After turning in the rental, I headed south and drove 400 miles towards home before pulling into a Wally World with my buddy for a few cold beers and some sleep. We slept for 4 hours and woke up and headed home. I drove both vehicles the entire way, and only had my friend along to BS with.

Several years ago, we raced in Ontario Canada. Left home on a Wednesday afternoon about 5pm and drove the 759 miles straight through and unloaded the race car and made qualifying runs on Thursday. Left after the race on Sunday afternoon and didn't miss class at 8am on Monday.

When you have a job or school, you find a way to make stuff happen in a time frame that fits your schedule. I'm 30 now, and look forward to the days (planning for when I am 50) when the clock doesn't matter.... Until then, rack up the miles and make it happen.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I must be a driving mutant because driving doesn't seem to tire me out.

I have driven 1000 miles in 1 day in my Windsor. I usually limit my liquid intake so I don't have to stop & I can go ~800 miles before fuel. If my wife is with me she will provide snacks etc.

I do not get fatigued, the coach handles great and it is not exhausting.

2 years ago I left work up in northern Michigan at 4 PM and was in TN at home by 6 AM, drove a little over 1100 miles. This was in my Jeep.

Not everyone can do this & I don't recommend if you don't have the capacity to safely drive these distances.

That being said, we usually drive ~400 miles depending on where we are going and when we need to get there. Since I'm now retired I've got all the time in the world.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've driven 800 miles in one day but there were "special" circumstances involving a couple Spanish speaking "gentlemen" that thought I might be an easy target. Thought I was done for the night, but after they hurriedly left I drove another 100 miles to a nice, safe, Wal*Mart parking light.
Normally I try to do 400-500 miles a day since we're limited on time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I don't see it as a big deal.

When you have a job or school, you find a way to make stuff happen in a time frame that fits your schedule. I'm 30 now, and look forward to the days (planning for when I am 50) when the clock doesn't matter.... Until then, rack up the miles and make it happen.
Of course you don't see it as a big deal, you are 30 years old! I could drive for days on end at that age. Things have a way of changing as you get older.

Get back to us when you are in your mid 50's and let us know how it's working out!
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:21 PM   #26

1000 Mile ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Of course you don't see it as a big deal, you are 30 years old! I could drive for days on end at that age. Things have a way of changing as you get older.

Get back to us when you are in your mid 50's and let us know how it's working out!

Try taking 5 days to get to your destination when you are working and have kids in school and report back.

It's easy enough to say 1k miles in two days is too much until that is what you have to do.... By the mid 50s for most folks here the amount of time it takes to get to a destination doesn't matter.... But while working, it certainly does and you do what you need to do.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
I will be driving a motorhome pulling a toad. I also will be entering Canada around Buffalo NY. This trip is planned for mid summer so I am hoping for good weather. My first stop in MI will be Newberry which will require me to cross the Mackinac bridge. Has anyone experienced that ? I myself would be doing all the driving but will have my wife and mother along. If my wife would do some or even a little of the driving then it would be no problem at all , but I am not seeing it. Any ideas on getting her into the drivers seat ?
If your wife is anything like mine you WILL be doing all the driving.

I have done 500 miles on occasion but not back to back days. The most I have done in 2 days is about 900. Another couple of hours is doable but you will be pooped when you get there. I like the suggestion of doing a few hours the night before. Even if you leave at 6 PM, if you pull into a Walmart by 9 PM you will have cut three hours off the last day and you will be glad you did.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
Try taking 5 days to get to your destination when you are working and have kids in school and report back.

It's easy enough to say 1k miles in two days is too much until that is what you have to do.... By the mid 50s for most folks here the amount of time it takes to get to a destination doesn't matter.... But while working, it certainly does and you do what you need to do.
You missed the point head gamez, just a joke about getting old! I was bullet proof at 30 as well and did what I had to do as a working guy with a family. Yes, it's possible to do 1,000 miles in 2 days but as you get older it truly does get tougher.

My wife and I just made a two day trip to Carthage MO to do a pre-delivery inspection of our new motorhome. Left Sunday morning, drove 600 miles and then spent the night in a hotel. Over to the dealership first thing Monday morning, spend two hours inspecting our motorhome and back in the car for the 600 mile drive back to Houston. That trip would have been a cake walk when I was 30, at 57, not so much. Last 8 hours were killing us ... it's called arthritis!

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote