Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
I am looking at a trip from MA. to Northern MI. This would be one of the longest drives for me in quite sometime. Without totally killing myself behind the wheel would a 1000 miles be doable in 2 days ? I am still working and I don't want to drain all of my vacation time on one trip.

Any ideas and or opinions would be appreciated.
Yes, 500 miles a day is doable, it is a long day...... and then get up, and do it again, vacation, same thing going home.........Last year, trip out west, 936 mile day.......Great conditions, night time driving was good, and driving/road conditions were just right and smooth......felt great.....smooth riding..........
Wife went to bed, ear plug's, and the 1650 RPM from the Cummins.......put her to sleep

Also, long days are just as hard on the passenger's.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #30

Quote:
If my wife would do some or even a little of the driving then it would be no problem at all , but I am not seeing it.

Any ideas on getting her into the drivers seat ?

Ain't never gonna happen. We've had a dozen boats and she wouldn't take the wheel if I fell overboard

I don't even ask anymore.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
It is doable, but another thing to consider is the condition of the roads. We were up that way last May and June in a truck pulling a TT and it was a very rough ride. We slowed down so we wouldn't shake things apart.

Books on CD help to pass the long days.... I don't remember if you have Cracker Barrel's up there, but they have a system where you can pick up a book at one store and drop it off at another for a small cost.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a this method, and it works out fairly well for us.
Figure it takes 2 hours to drive every 100 miles. this is a average with potty & gas breaks.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A little over a year ago (0ct 2013) I checked into the human body shop (Hospital) with congestive heart failure and Arterial flutter. Not at all good.

Thanksgiving my doctors gave me clearance to head south.. And I did, I gassed up in Davison MI and reset the trip-o-meter.. Headed to Taylor (About an hour away) and visited a couple more doctors,, Got Thanksgiving Dinner for free a day early at an eatery that was doing that and long about 2:30 PM headed south.. Forget where where I spent Thanksgiving Eve,,, On Thanksgiving I was looking for a Wal*Mart, found one but ... Well, I do not think there was room for a skate board in that lot, let alone a 38' Class A with towed, Found a closed for the holiday supermarket and spent the night there, 7AM back on the road, 7 miles to the next Wal*mart to empty my gift card (I got my Black Friday Ad Item I wanted (A sewing machine) and the rest went into the gas tank, You get a discount if you use a gift card at the Murphy USA pump)

Arrived in Seneca, SC at.. Right about the same time (2:30) I left Taylor, Trip=o=meter said 802 miles.

I am a SOLO rver, wife died spring 2013...

Why do I tell this full story?

If you are in good health, and/or have a co-driver, 1,000 miles in 2 days should be easily done.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Both the DW and I drive. we put in a 12 hour day and cover the 1200 miles to our home in flordia in less that two days. day one do about 650 and finish the next day getting in by 5pm. we are pullin trailer too.

I start at 7 am and DW takes over after lunch and hauls for about 4 hours, then I finish off the rest of the day. we limit lunch to no more than 20 minutes. When I was young drove 1850 miles straight for 38 hours. NJ to San Antonio. I was 21 and it was 1062 but now it is 2015 and I am 74. Still truckin and bikin.

your trip going a northern route may not be as productive do to traffic and road conditions
Happpy New Year.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #35

500 miles per day on the interstates is a piece of cake. That's 8 to 10 hours of driving time, depending on how fast you drive. I have run that far many times when on the road on business trips.

If you average 50 mph it's 10 hours.

If you average 60 mph it's 8.3 hours.

And no, I'm not 30 years old. That ship sailed well over 30 years ago! ;-)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I am looking at a trip from MA. to Northern MI. This would be one of the longest drives for me in quite sometime. Without totally killing myself behind the wheel would a 1000 miles be doable in 2 days ? I am still working and I don't want to drain all of my vacation time on one trip.

Any ideas and or opinions would be appreciated.
I guess more years ago than I care to admit I could drive 1000 miles in 2 days and think nothing of it.

Today, if you told me that I had to drive 1000 miles in 2 days, I would do it.

I don't know exactly how long it would take me to recuperate.

My other concern would be how much time it will take to cross the border. We've done it in 15 minutes. We've also spent a couple of hours at a border crossing.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #37

Thanks for all of the feedback. Many angles to consider and many good points have been brought up. I do like the idea about getting some miles behind you on Friday night. One thing I did not mention is on my return trip from MI to MA are will be starting off 150 miles closer to home.
I think I can do this.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #38
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Thanks for all of the feedback. Many angles to consider and many good points have been brought up. I do like the idea about getting some miles behind you on Friday night. One thing I did not mention is on my return trip from MI to MA are will be starting off 150 miles closer to home.
I think I can do this.
I too do Friday night departures, they work out well and depending on your endurance, can chew up some good miles as traffic is always much lighter at night.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #39

It is possible, but makes a fairly long day if your aren't used to driving for that long of a time period. Stop for fuel only if need be, eat on the road & limit stops to a minimum.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Evening starts are very practical. That hinges on getting a prompt start the next day to continue the trip.

We travel (occasionally) with folks who like to stay up late and get up late. Travelling with them is liesurely. Travel, stay up and socialize, sleep in for a late departure, repeat. Lovely way to travel when not pressed for time.

When pressed for time the idea is to maximize the travel time. Take frequent but brief breaks and travel at a steady pace. If you do this and travel at 60 - 62 you will have less stress and still have an average in the mid to high 50's.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #41

Quote:
I will be driving a motorhome pulling a toad. I also will be entering Canada around Buffalo NY. This trip is planned for mid summer so I am hoping for good weather. My first stop in MI will be Newberry which will require me to cross the Mackinac bridge. Has anyone experienced that ? I myself would be doing all the driving but will have my wife and mother along. If my wife would do some or even a little of the driving then it would be no problem at all , but I am not seeing it. Any ideas on getting her into the drivers seat ?
expedition1....

Don't sweat the small stuff... you can do this.. It really isn't as big of a deal as most have said.. I'm 46, and as mentioned, for our vacations, I like to get going Friday night. I am a night time driver. I really like that I can see all the head lights clearly, and as someone else said, it is generally less congested when driving at night.

As for your route/trip... I did a quick mapquest and used a generic "Massachusetts" (I think it used Framingham as a starting point in MA) as a starting point going to Newberry as you mentioned.. It appears that going around versus thru Canada would be the same time and mileage.. I don't have any experience driving into, out of and thru Canada.. but you may want to consider going I-90 around..

Our family vacation last year was Jamestown/Yorktown/Williamsburg with Gettysburg thrown in for good measure. I drove across PA and eventually connected with I-90 crossing OH and IN... not bad roads..

As to the wife helping... boy.. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones.. My GF LOVES to drive the RV.. and to be honest, I love that she does.. It really does break up the trip and allows us to cover more ground with less fatigue.. Usually, on Friday when we leave.. she usually takes the first shift.. She prefers to drive during day light, and I am ok with driving at night.. So, for us, it really works out well..

As to your wife.. I'm sure she can do the straight roads of an expressway.. I know she can... when I mentioned this thread to my GF.. she just said to have her do some "practice" driving on trips leading up to your big vacation... as she said, driving the RV on the expressway is SO MUCH easier than driving her car.. she likes being "up" in the RV and feels she has better vision of the road.. plus the added benefit knowing she is giving me a break adds to her determination of driving the rig..

When we first got it.. she was apprehensive.. but as I told her, its just like diving a car... she felt comfortable with doing the straight shots on the expressway.. and now.. two years later, she's driving thru city streets and campgrounds.. she even backs into our campsites..

I know she can do it... I know you guys can do 1000 miles in two days.. Godspeed to you both.. and have fun while doing it !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
expedition1....

As to the wife helping... boy.. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones.. My GF LOVES to drive the RV.. and to be honest, I love that she does.. It really does break up the trip and allows us to cover more ground with less fatigue.. Usually, on Friday when we leave.. she usually takes the first shift.. She prefers to drive during day light, and I am ok with driving at night.. So, for us, it really works out well..

As to your wife.. I'm sure she can do the straight roads of an expressway.. I know she can...
You are one of the lucky ones Eric, some of us have wives who just can't do it. My wife is nervous driving to our local mall, no way in the world she will ever get behind the wheel of our motorhome, just ain't gonna happen. For us the logistics of our travel will be considerably different to those with two drivers. You can't just will them into the driver's seat.

And, some are comfortable driving at night, others are not. Personally, I'm not going to drive my 20 ton vehicle at night unless I really have to, I just don't feel I can see things on the road far enough in front of me to react quickly enough to avoid them or slow down. We all have different comfort levels.

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote