RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
110* out and rear AC went out. Purchase advice needed!

Ok all. Had a seasoned pro check out the rear AC unit of my Ď05 Monaco Knight. Itís a dometic 13.5 btu unit WITH heat pump.
So far looks like itís low on Freon. The compressor is only pulling 5-6 amp while running. I know there are some techs that can cut the lines and put schraders on them and refill, but I donít want to have it leak out again.
Question: I want an AC that DOES NOT have a heat pump. Do I need to stay brand specific for it to work with my 2-zone T-stat? Or will any low profile unit do?

I found a Dometic low pro penguin for $750. Otherwise the Dometic Duo-Therm unit is $1,450!
Iíll be installing myself.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
ask the manufacturer if it will work with your system....if they say yes, let them know you will be returning it if it doesn't.............see what they say...........

jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_drago View Post
Ok all. Had a seasoned pro check out the rear AC unit of my Ď05 Monaco Knight. Itís a dometic 13.5 btu unit WITH heat pump.
So far looks like itís low on Freon. The compressor is only pulling 5-6 amp while running. I know there are some techs that can cut the lines and put schraders on them and refill, but I donít want to have it leak out again.
Question: I want an AC that DOES NOT have a heat pump. Do I need to stay brand specific for it to work with my 2-zone T-stat? Or will any low profile unit do?

I found a Dometic low pro penguin for $750. Otherwise the Dometic Duo-Therm unit is $1,450!
Iíll be installing myself.

Thanks in advance!
Make sure your capacitors are good before buying a new unit.
As to brand specific....The relay interface I think is brand specific. The thermostat I don't think is. It just sends the signal to the relay box.
I have replaced a Coleman unit so that's all I know about.
The price seems high to me...but maybe it's local and you're in a rush. I see the 13.5K units advertised on the internet in the $500 range.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
The compressor is only pulling 5-6 amp while running.
My first thought is 5 to 6 amps is probably what the fan draws, maybe the compressor is not even running? Could the starting capacitor be bad preventing the compressor from energizing? The cap is a relatively inexpensive fix at around $50.

If the compressor is truly low on freon, then you have a leak somewhere. Unless the leak is fixed, it will be low on freon again.

BTW, just wondering, what is your reason for not wanting a AC with heat pump?
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My first thought is 5 to 6 amps is probably what the fan draws, maybe the compressor is not even running? Could the starting capacitor be bad preventing the compressor from energizing? The cap is a relatively inexpensive fix at around $50.

If the compressor is truly low on freon, then you have a leak somewhere. Unless the leak is fixed, it will be low on freon again.

BTW, just wondering, what is your reason for not wanting a AC with heat pump?

The amp draw was the compressor. It was taken from the compressors wire. I donít want a heat pump because we run the furnace.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The amp draw was the compressor. It was taken from the compressors wire. I donít want a heat pump because we run the furnace.
The plus for a heat pump is that on cool nights, you can run the heat pump and not burn your propane. Using the CG electricity is cheaper. Throw in a fireplace and you can avoid the furnace unless the temps really dive.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Call Dometic.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
Community Moderator

that a/c unit should draw about 14a at 120v (130a at 13.3v - this is a real number from my unit).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes. Just running the front drew 17A including parasitic draw. Iím going to bite the bullet and call Dometic as Dennis suggested. Will buy a new unit for the front and move the front to the rear. Why??? Well, in this weeks case, the front AC was working fine. But itís just as old as the rear is. The only thing that kept life bearable was the fact that the front of the coach (also known as the front bedroom) kept my 4 kids comfortable. Last thing I need is a new working AC in my bedroom and 4 miserable kids as Iím pretty sure the other one will be going out next.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok. I called Dometic today and they said that the Penguin II would be a perfect match for me and my 5-button thermostat.
However, I just saw a video that showed the Penguin II has to have its motherboard changed out to accept the ďolderĒ 5-button thermostat unit. Apparently the AC control board is mates to the new 7-button digital display t-stat.
Does anyone have any experience on running one older and one newer AC unit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced both my old penguins with the newer style ones two years ago, and went with the new t-stat and it was a real improvement over the old ones. What they told me was if I just went with one new one I would have to buy the extra board for it to work with the old 5 button t-stat. PPL is where I got mine I think the total with the new style t-stat and both airs with heatpumps was around $2100. The new t-stat really is an improvement over the 5 button.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #12

I also recently replaced with a Penguin II and went for the new t-stat to avoid compatibility issues with an old one plus I hated the old one. Easy to operate and I can see the blasted numbers now without a flashlight and constantly looking for my glasses.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Ok. I called Dometic today and they said that the Penguin II would be a perfect match for me and my 5-button thermostat.
However, I just saw a video that showed the Penguin II has to have its motherboard changed out to accept the “older” 5-button thermostat unit. Apparently the AC control board is mates to the new 7-button digital display t-stat.
Does anyone have any experience on running one older and one newer AC unit?

Thanks in advance.
Yes. My 13.5 btu heat pump bedroom kw is 22 years old. My 15 btu dometic heat pump is two years old.

The bedroom unit runs every night we are out for white noise to cover for those neighbors who run their diesel pickups at 6:00am to warm them up.

I have a dedicated thermostat for each. The new thermostat for the 15 kw unit cost about $30.

I installed the unit myself after buying it on Ebay for $990 delivered to my home.

Dometic issued a 5 yr warranty upon documentation.

New unit makes more noise than the old in my estimation.

1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, advice