Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
110/Propane Water Heater

Our new to us RV is the first one that we've had that would run the water heater on electricity. I turned it on just to see what it does and it took a long time to heat up, much longer than it did on propane. I'm thinking this is because it's a 110 volt and not 220 volt heater.

Do most of you run your heater on electricity or propane?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Our new to us RV is the first one that we've had that would run the water heater on electricity. I turned it on just to see what it does and it took a long time to heat up, much longer than it did on propane. I'm thinking this is because it's a 110 volt and not 220 volt heater.
barmcd
If you want hot water fast, (or a speedy recovery time), use both LP and 120V.

However for normal use 120V is sufficient...(and free when you have a campsite where electricity is included).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #3

I use electricity as I usually have hook-ups, but never noticed it talking a long time to heat.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:

we use 110 when we have hookups and LP when we don't. if we want a faster recovery after a shower then we'll use both simultaneously.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
barmcd
If you want hot water fast, (or a speedy recovery time), use both LP and 120V.

However for normal use 120V is sufficient...(and free when you have a campsite where electricity is included).

Mel
'96 Safari
That's great advice, I didn't know you could use both.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

FWIW When you winterize tape the electric switch off. Turning on with an empty tank will burn out the element. ;-)

It probably took a lot longer to come up from full cold. I think you will find that once the tank has warmed up cycling water through it has a reasonably fast recovery.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you by chance have Motor Aid on the HW Heater? We do and when we arrive after driving the water is already hot, just plug in and hit the switch and it stays Hot. Luv it!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Do you by chance have Motor Aid on the HW Heater? We do and when we arrive after driving the water is already hot, just plug in and hit the switch and it stays Hot. Luv it!
We had that on the '02 Dutch Star, works as you say. The Magna has the same setup though the AquaHot. Nice to be on the road and have hot water too.
Always ran with the propane on and have with every RV we've ever owned that needed it for the refer. Propane systems in RV's are VERY safe with all the safe guards they now have. Ever try to run a propane powered vehicle with the propane off?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"barmcd"......from many years of RVing (40), I remember the days when water heaters often caught fire. They use to use a cone shape valve that would get dirt under it and then leak gas. Those days are gone, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that still feels its safer to turn the gas off when not in use.

On my previous coach, I had both gas and electric. Yes, the electric is slower to heat, but often when we set up camp, we typically didn't need hot water immediately, so we just turned on the electric element to heat our water for later.

On electric, the water heater heated enough water for a single shower, but if we wanted to take one right after the other, I would turn the gas on for a quicker recovery.

I always felt/slept better at night with just the electric on and only using the gas when needing a boost or boon docking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Surprised your Dynasty did'nt come with a Hydra/ Aqua Hot .
Old 02-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, we keep our WH on AC when connected to shore power or generator. When we get ready to take showers, we switch on the LPG (leaving the AC on) to have more hot water, then turn off the LPG when finished. Works for us!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #12

Also depends on the size of your tank. When we are in a full hookup spot I always use the electric heater. I turn it on when we set up and it is always hot by the time we need it. We take back to back showers and always have plenty of hot water. No use in wasting propane unless you are boondocking.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #13

Hilarious. 15 years we've had our Vacationer and never even considered running LP AND electricity for quick recovery. Ya gotta love this forum!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Hilarious. 15 years we've had our Vacationer and never even considered running LP AND electricity for quick recovery. Ya gotta love this forum!
which is hilarious...the suggestion to run them both or you never thinking of doing that?

Tags
heat, heater, propane, water, water heater