Some tone testers get their power from the line being tested (assuming it is live), so probably only work on the type they are designed for (120vac, for example). Others may have a battery, or a choice of live vs low voltage (battery) mode.
In any case, you already know the circuit that is bad. The short is in that wire, or the device(s) on the wire. Disconnect the devices and see if the fuse still blows with power applied. If so, it's the wiring itself. If not, it's one of the devices. Should not be too hard to track it down.
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL