Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ron, sorry I did not see this thread sooner. The White Rodgers solenoid you just ordered is the Boost or charging solenoid and will not correct the problem of getting 12 vdc into the coach. In the right rear compartment, you will find a lot of electrical breakers. Look for one that is a black square box and if tripped, a little lever will be pointing down and it looks differant than the rest. Push the lever to the right and up into and parrallel to the ridge of the breaker. Take your volt meter with the negative to frame ground and all of the circuit breakers should have power (12-13.2 vdc) without the engine running. If you find one that does not have power on both sides and the lever is not pointing down, try pushing the red button to manually trip the circuit breaker and then reset the lever.
The solenoid that 2006 is referring to is an Intellitect. This should also have power on both sides. Check the fuses on it (power on both sides).
Let us know what you find. If I were closer, I would come to your rescue.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Mike,
I have tried pushing the lever back up, tripping again and resetting the lever back up. I did not know if this was the problem but thought the leaver needed to be reset. however this did not help. Where would i find the intellitect solenoid that 2006 is referring to?

Could the thing with the black lever and red button on it be bad and not resetting?
I have to work today and tomorrow so will be wed before i can check out further.
thanks
rh

rhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
On my Tourmaster, the inverter is connected to 4-6V batteries that is converted to 110V for the house. When the coach is plugged in to shore power it acts as a battery charger. There is also two 12v batteries to handle the chassis and generator and 2-12v batteries for the house. When I flip the switch at the door those are the batteries that are being used. They are not used for 110v. Are you positive that your inverter is using the house batteries for the inverter?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm still concerned that he got a reading from NEG to Ground... Could be some sort of float voltage though..

rhon: what was that voltage?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
The test you did by measuring between battery post & ground is important. That is my standard way of locating dirty terminals or weak ground connections. If you read any measurable voltage between battery post and clamp, remove & clean all terminal clamps. You may be surprised at the result.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
I have taken my batteries off again, brought to town to have tested. they tested good. I may replace them anyway on wednesday when i can tackle the problem again. I thought my coach might have a ground issue when i got the hot read from the negative post of the coach batteries and the metal battery compartment. I thought i might have a shore line problem that had damaged my batteries.

on the issue of getting 110 v power in my coach to run the microwave on hairdryer etc. the only power available to those items was my 4 six v coach batteries, i had unhooked my shore line.

One thing i have never found on this coach, and of course i have no significant manuals on the coach, is the converter.

I appreciate all the thoughts you are providing. rh
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorn View Post

One thing i have never found on this coach, and of course i have no significant manuals on the coach, is the converter.

I appreciate all the thoughts you are providing. rh
I don't know if your Scenic Cruiser would have the converter mounted the same way as my '98 GS Sun Sport, but mine is under the front of the bed and is hidden behind the fuse box. When it is working hard I can hear the fan running.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Mines there too.. I have also heard it of being by the entry door, under/over the fridge, and by the stove..?
Old 11-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Your coach probably has an inverter/charger not a converter. What is confusing you is by trying to diagnose a problem from the middle. You need to start at one end of a circuit and work toward the other end. It is of great help to be able to understand how components and systems work.
Do you have power to the microwave and hair dryer when plugged into shore power?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
I do have power to microwave and hair dryer when plugged into shore line. If i turn the inverter/charger (freedom 458) off that power is lost. I also have microwave etc power then shore line is unplugged and aux batteries are connected (if inverter/charger is on).

I also thought it was not a battery issue 1) because the test good and 2) when i unhook the shore line i was getting 110 power to microwave etc. from the aux batteries. However when i got power read when connecting the frame to neg post on aux batteries made me think there must be a problem with the batteries.

Most educations are expensive and this has already cost me a few hundred for things i have replaced etc. and will probably end up being fixed by some 5 cent wire or fuse. but i am learning a lot
Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You should still have power to the microwave and hair dryer when the inverter is turned off. This is called pass through. Your inverter is not passing through, the voltage and therefore I doubt that it can charge the battery bank. There is a fuse that can blow and prevent this pass through and power to charge the batteries inside the inverter.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
I sometimes get confused. the microwave and 110 outlets in coach do work when not plugged into shore power.

Everything seems to work, batteries charge, 110 v outlets work from shore power or without shore power. And the battery control center and salesman switch all work when the engine is running. I am just not getting 12 v continuous power to the BCC when engine is off.

Cannot get appt with rv service center for a few days, so i will keep testing.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
in case someone in the future looks at this thread they will know the outcome also posted on other thread i started about the same problem.

Yep, loose ground cable under coach. Ground from aux batteries went to a junction where three ground wires went off to somewhere. found the one loosely attached to the chassis, cleaned and tightened up equal fixed problem. what made this difficult was the positive cable from the aux batteries was 12.?? volt all the way through the coach until it was attached to the Battery control center when it would mysteriously loose voltage. i guess it was grounding out>

best regards,
rh