Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #1

12 volt problems on house lights

After winter storage the 2 house batteries were dead so I replaced them and after one trip with plugged in since trip the lights did not come on until the Ford Class C engine was cranked. Does this sound like converter problems/charging problems? Panel shows new batts charged. I will check with VOM this week and need some help on what to look for. any input is appreciated. thanks jim w.
Shotgunjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If the batteries are charged, the converter is probably working. Maybe you have the battery disconnect switch turned off? Or maybe a main fuse blown? If the batteries are charged but power is not getting to the house wiring, odds are the problem is somewhere in the wiring connections to the batteries rather than a converter problem.

Year, make & model of RV would be helpful in assisting you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu need those tests but let me run down some possibles

First, there are basically two ways to hook up a converter.. The house side, or the batery side, of the battery disconnect switch or solenoid.

If it is hooked to the battery side, then it will charge the batteries EVEN WHEN THE SWITCH IS IN THE DISCONNECT/STORE position

NOTE: If your converter, is also an inverter.. then it is wired this way.. Like my Prosine 2.0.

Second, for the purpose of this post there are two types of converters.. One is like my Progressive Dynamics Intella Power, it's wired in parallel with everything else, has just two 12 volt terminals,, One Red, One black (Positive and negative) and that's all (Well it also has a120 volt cord)

The other, is like the Magnatek 6300 line.. This one has two 12 volt POSITIVE outs.. Generally the other one is blue.

IT has a relay inside it.. If running on shore power this normally closed relay will pull open and let the power supply portion of the converter run the lights and other non-senistive loads.. While the battery charger portion charges the batteries and also runs things like the radio which are "Power line noise senistive".

IF that relay fails, (open) then you won't have lights (But the "House" radio may still work) when you do not have shore power.

There are also fuse and circuit breakers that can affect you again depending on how it is wired.

THe solution is to chase the power.. I recommend a test lamp rather than a meter (Easier to read quickly)

I took a license plate lamp socket from my local auto parts tore, This socket takes an "Edge type" or "Blade type" Bulb (has a flat blade that goes into the socket) though any kind will work so long as the socket is for a single element blub and has TWO wires coming off it.

I put a test clip on one lead,, extended the other lead about 3 feet to a 2nd test clip.. This is my test lamp.

Bright or Dark is all I need to know.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You say you replaced the house batteries. Did you charge the new batteries before putting them back in coach?
A 12V battery charger will charge them up to full charge faster than your converter or GEN.
Once they are at full charge than the converter will keep them that way if you have coach shore line plugged in a outlet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

The problem was a small 5amp minifuse located on a seperate compartment that housed a relay. It was labeled "bird" and I have no clue what this is but everything started working after it was replaced. The motorhome is a 2010 ford class c forest river thanks for input from everyone. jim w.
Shotgunjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your lucky this is about the Bird System.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote