Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Rig is supposed to be 12'6" tall, (I suspect that is not loaded) lowest bridge I have ever passed under was 12'6". dead slow and I made it.

Neighbor at a campground pulled in, sticker in window, on a new class C.
They flew into the airport in Las Vegas, were picked up by the dealer and took possession of the new Class C... I had to help the gentelman open the locked door since he forgot which key and his rig had the same Tri-mark lock I have.

They went to dinner at Sams Club.. The parking garage has the clearance for them to park under cover as it were but the chain hung pipe with the clearance painted on it actually hangs a bit lower than what is painted on it.

The RV had a Winegard Roadstar (Piece of .. refuse) TV antenna. This is the "Flying Saucer" model.

Pipe went under the saucer, of course it was then pulled tight, ripped the saucer off the roof, pipe then flew up a bit and came crashing down on the bathroom vent cover.

NOW, for reasons I wont bother going into since they caused NO damage, I am aware the pipe hangs low... But I really think they should not do that.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
I have cured this possible problem by having the DW ride on the roof. If it looks like I'm not going to clear she pounds on the roof. Works great, until she comes down for the night.
I take it that DW doesn't visit IRV2.com

2014 Entegra Cornerstone 45K, Spartan K3 Chassis,
Cummins ISX 600HP, Allison 4000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Could you please tell the story of how, where, and why it happened.

I read so many posts with people willing to do almost anything to get low bridge info but rarely have I encountered it and when I did there was fair warning. There are several low bridges in our area that don't show on the apps. so I never would trust one of them.
It is my understanding the owner of the coach was forced off an exit due to road construction. Dark, rainy and unfamiliar surroundings. The sign, stating the bridge height, was further back than where traffic was being routed off and around. Semis were going left and regular traffic was going right, he went right as well. Perhaps he missed the sign for vehicle height and for which lane to choose. On a side note, I didn't find any pieces of the Trav'ler antenna. All that was left were the dozen or so lag screw holes and both the RG6 and control cable were ripped/broken right where they enter the roof. It could've easily pulled his controller and sat receiver apart had the wires not broken at the roofline.
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
Forest River Owners Club
I use a Trucker/RV GPS that keeps me off all roads with low bridges and that are very narrow... Worth every dime I paid ....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Rand McNally RV GPS has a feature that take your coach height into consideration when routing.....
Yeah, except for the 100+ year-old 11'6" stone arch RR bridge in NJ that it somehow doesn't know about. Fortunately, there were clearance warning signs, but I still had to disconnect and make about a seven-point turn on that two-lane. Keep a wary eye on Mr R-M.......
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
That RM RV GPS is a terrible POS. I had one once...for ONE trip. That was enough.

I bought a Garmin Desl 760 and have never regretted it. Great unit.

Rich & Linda
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
I guess you could call that a clean slate...

1999 HR Endeavor 37WDS
Handicapped Lift Equiped
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote