Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
12'2" bridge vs 12'6" coach

One of my customers brought this in today. Wiped off both A/Cs and the trav'ler sat dish. Expensive oversight indeed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1398382090.068428.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	948.8 KB
ID:	61292Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1398382117.817331.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	996.7 KB
ID:	61293Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1398382139.617065.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	808.0 KB
ID:	61294

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Good point for having your coach height mounted somewhere the driver can read. Those pics made me cringe and hope that never happens to me.

Thanks for posting.
George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
I just remember 13'.

The coach says 12, but I don't want to find out if that includes the AC and vent cowls. Also, the posted clearance might not reflect the fact that repaving of the road could have reduced that clearance by half a foot. My nav system is supposed to keep me off routes with less than 13'6" clearance, but if I encounter anything less than 13' I will not go.
Upstate South Carolina
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2012 Honda CRV
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are not to many low bridges left on major routes, and most have enough signage and lights. I am guessing this happened off the beaten path or they were not paying attention. Hopefully the rig was not damaged, and my guess is the driver won't be doing that again.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Theres a app for that its call Co-Pilot. Its keeps you away from those low clearences.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Easy solution

I have cured this possible problem by having the DW ride on the roof. If it looks like I'm not going to clear she pounds on the roof. Works great, until she comes down for the night.
Attached Images
2003 Winnebago WFG33V Adventurer - 8.1 Gas, Workhorse Chassis - Medium Titanium Metalic

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

Rand McNally RV GPS has a feature that take your coach height into consideration when routing. It even warns you it the clearance is gonna be close. I'm sure other GPS units do the same if they are specfic to RVing.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks fixable to me. Just needs a little duct tape.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Could you please tell the story of how, where, and why it happened.

I read so many posts with people willing to do almost anything to get low bridge info but rarely have I encountered it and when I did there was fair warning. There are several low bridges in our area that don't show on the apps. so I never would trust one of them.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good reason to have collision Insurance.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GS site has a trip planner that takes low bridges into account. Pretty sure they use the 13' 6" standard. I'm planning a long trip to the east and the planner triggered not only low bridge/underpasses but also propane restricted tunnels in the DC area. Easy to "drag" the route to another road until the warnings disappear.
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
I ran into a low bridge once, literally. We were taking a detour around an accident scene getting off the interstate going on a heavily traveled back road and supposed to get back on the interstate at the next interchange. The low bridge sign indicated a low bridge posted at 13'. We were 12'6" and 38 feet long, so I figured I would try it moving slowly. Two things were against us.

First was the road had been paved recently.
Secondly, the road under the bridge dipped down with the road being at its lowest point being directly under the bridge. The coach went down and under the bridge OK, but as the front tires started to climb up the other side the rear tires still had not reached the low point in the road. The result was the roof of the coach raised up just enough the front air conditioner and antenna hit the bottom of the bridge!

The noise was horrific! It was louder than a jet engine. No not the noise of the coach hitting the bridge but the noise from my DW screaming!

Damage wasn't as bad as those in the OP pictures. We only suffered damage to the air conditioner cover and a bent antenna. But the damage to my confidence was worse. Now almost every time we go under a bridge, even if that sucker is 60 feet above us, I hear "are you really really sure you can make it this time."
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor
Overland Owners Club
11foot8.com has dozens of videos from fixed cameras taken at one bridge in Durham, NC.

It's amusing to watch when it's not you.... Amazing how fast and easy it is to remove the A/C units from a fifth wheel...

We were off the beaten path in New England and I saw on the GPS that the railroad track on our left crossed to our right, down the road a mile or so. I was expecting a grade crossing but all of a sudden there was an overhead trestle that the sign said was high enough, but sure looked like a problem... I stopped and made the DW go out on front to watch as I crept forward, not at all worried about the cars stacking up behind me. Turns out the signs were right, and we had enough clearance, but for a little while there, I thought we might be backing down the road for a few miles.

Don & Anita Sweger
98 Overland Larado 4141SO
41' 325hp Cummins C8.3 Nicknamed "Lola"
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote