Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

12v interior light flickering

The 12v lights have a slight flicker the incandescent and LEDs both flicker. And I have noticed when the exhaust fan in the bathroom is on and you turn on a 12v light it seams to slow down. I recently cleaned the posts on the house batteries and it seamed to go away for about 2 weeks now its back. What else do I need to check the coach batteries are about 4 years old and we fulltime so the batteries are always being charged and the water is full. I checked with a volt meter 13.6 12v and 6.5 each 6v. What else should I check or is this normal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If it's happening when on shore power, it could be your converter/charger kicking in to charge batteries then shutting down again. Other idea is carefully check what else is on that might only need power intermittently. Does your refrigerator have heat coils to dry condensation around door seal? If you hook a volt meter up and leave it on while a flicker happens in the lights, you might catch the voltage fluctuation. Another thing, you said you cleaned battery terminals, how about the ground connection?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would start checking your grounds to chassis frame for house batteries, converter/inverter and Gen to frame.
You may want to check the wire connections in your transfer switch, three sets of wires, shore power cable, the load center wires and Gen wiring from Gen.
If you have loose wiring can build up heat and melt insulation on wires and other complications.
Here are some Tech tips.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My converter was on the way out when that started happening to me. I replaced it and never had a flicker again.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #5

I had the same issue on my 2010 Hurricane. Traced the problem to my convertor. Replaced convertor and batteries, no further problems. Opened old convertor and found circuit board had overheated with burn marks on the board.

Norm
Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #6

You need to actually check voltage when this is happening, but most likely the converter or bad batteries or a combination.

You checked battery surface charge. Check them with a load when the problem is occurring too, then check the voltage at the converter.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Recently when we were driving, I hit a bump and the EMS beeped and I lost 12v power. When plugged into shore power the 12v worked but I noticed a dimming of a light when more than one was turned on. New batteries did not alleviate the problem.

I called the Mfg and they suggested checking the solenoid to the House Battery. There is a switch that turns the house batteries on/off and the solenoid on my vehicle was located behind a panel in my electrical compartment. Since I was having some other work done I asked the service department to check it out.

They did, and they found that by tapping on the solenoid the 12v system would cut on and off. It has been replaced and when I picked it up all seems to be working as expected.

So, check the house system solenoid controlled by the house disconnect switch. Could even be the switch.

Just thinking out loud.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #8

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me thanks for all the info.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please let us know what the problem is when you find it.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote