Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

12V power to interior stopped working after cleaning battery cables today

Hi Everyone, I was doing house battery maint today. I shut down the coach completely by turning off the chassis and house battery rocker switches on the panel inside the coach. then I turned off 50 amp breaker on the post outside and disconnected the negative cable from the house battery bank. I checked all cells for proper acid level, did a hydrometer check and all were the same (in the good to excellent range). I have 4 six volts for house batteries I took off each cable one at a time and cleaned and reattached them. I reconnected my negative cable to the battery and turned 50 amp shore power back on. when I connect shore power to the coach the chassis and aux (house) rocker switch lights in the coach come on automatically and the 2 red pilot lights under them are on. Only the main battery light came on, the aux light did not come on. I tried pushing the rocker switch but the aux light does not come on. I checked the 12v panel near the side of the bed. There is no power to the panel. So assuming there is a problem with 12v before that point. End result is that I have no 12v power in the coach. no 12v lighting, refrigerator, exhaust fans, furnaces. All my 120v items work fine. I have a 2006 Fleetwood Bounder 38N. Any Ideas

Grampy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Cycle the disconnect switch on and off a number of times. Perhaps one contact is dirty or burnt, cycling it may make it connect. You could also try tapping on the solenoid (trace it by the clicking sound) and see if that helps. As a temporary 'fix' you can take both heavy wires hooked to the posts of the solenoid and connect them together on the same post. This will by pass the solenoid until you can get a replacement.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

Could be a sticking solenoid.

Try cycling the switch on and off a few times.

Try tapping on the solenoids in the BCC.

Be sure you didn't leave any wires off.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

Look for extra wires near batteries.

Did you take photos before?

Get volt meter and check voltage on all batteries with shore unplugged then plug shore in and see if it rises.

If rises converter connected and working if no then not.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

So I checked all wiring, fuses, relays etc. They all seemed to work ok. Still no 12v power to the coach/house terminals on the side of the BCC (RV custom control box). SO, I decided to start up the coach to see if I could get all the 12v stuff inside working again or not. I started up the coach and about 1 minute later when the ammeter on the coach got to above center the red light at the aux switch on the panel came on and the lights and 12v dc items in the coach were working again. after about 5 min I shut the engine off and everything is still working fine. what the heck? Ideas? Dave
Grampy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Could have had dead batteries and the charger needed some volts to kick in, or the disconnect solenoid needed power to close.

Starting it up closed the cross connect solenoid and gave them enough of a charge for the charger to take over.

You may have very bad batteries. Have you ever pulled the plug for a few hours and checked the volts ?
Old 02-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Could have had dead batteries and the charger needed some volts to kick in, or the disconnect solenoid needed power to close.

Starting it up closed the cross connect solenoid and gave them enough of a charge for the charger to take over.

You may have very bad batteries. Have you ever pulled the plug for a few hours and checked the volts ?
I believe he stated that he tested cells with hydrometer and everything read high and good. I think it was the solenoid may have been the problem.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I believe he stated that he tested cells with hydrometer and everything read high and good. I think it was the solenoid may have been the problem.
Yup, I see that now.

Tags
battery, interior, power