Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems that the 22.5 Michelin tires are the ones people gripe about.

Are there any 19.5 XRV owners who have experienced blowouts or other problems?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems that the 22.5 Michelin tires are the ones people gripe about.

Are there any 19.5 XRV owners who have experienced blowouts or other problems?

Old 03-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #3

I had a sidewall blow out last summer on an XZA 225 70 19.5. Left inside dual, 5 years old and was not underinflated or overloaded.
Last week I replaced the rest of them with Goodyears.

2000 Trek 2830 6.5 Diesel
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It is my observation that people gripe about ALL Michelin tires. On the other hand, just about every RV comes with Michelins, so if people have a tire gripe it is almost surely going to be related to Michelin.

It is well known that Michelin generally holds to the letter of the law on warranty adjustments - if you can't prove it is a manufacturer defect, forget it. Other companies seem to have a more customer friendly attitude allow more warranty adjustments.

Let's face it, most RV tire failures are in fact the result of customer [shall we say] inattention. Things you can get away with on passenger car tires will result in outright failures on large vehicles.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #5

Just my opinion, but you seem awful touchy about this.
I can't speak for "most owners" as you refer to but I know my situation. I regularly inspect my tires and weigh my coach and keep the tires inflated correctly.
These tires had 38,000 miles on them and had 6/32 tread on them. Yes, I regularly measure the tread depth and have it spreadsheeted on my computer. There were also no visible cracks anywhere on the tire.
The serviceman who changed the tire called it a zipper tear and says he sees it all the time on Michelins this age (5 years).
I feel I was lucky because this particular tire had been rotated from the front 3,000 miles before it blew.
Sine I am leaving Monday to travel from Florida to North Dakota I did not feel safe with these tires anymore. I also have no confidence that I would not have the same prioblem with Michelin tires in the future.
I may noy be the majority but I know my situation.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:18 PM   #6

Hello Bob G! Welcome to the website! Virtually all tire manufacturer's now state to remove from service tires that are 6 years from date of manufacture. This is regardless of tread wear. I just tried to warranty a tire that had a steel belt broken that I purchased 2 years ago. The warranty was denied because the tire was manufactured 6 years ago. The explanation offered was "The tire must have sat in a warehouse for 4 years before I bought it". New auto manuals are beginning to contain this information but it's not well known yet. The Michlen website has the disclaimer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:35 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob G:
Just my opinion, but you seem awful touchy about this.
I can't speak for "most owners" as you refer to but I know my situation. I regularly inspect my tires and weigh my coach and keep the tires inflated correctly.
These tires had 38,000 miles on them and had 6/32 tread on them. Yes, I regularly measure the tread depth and have it spreadsheeted on my computer. There were also no visible cracks anywhere on the tire.
The serviceman who changed the tire called it a zipper tear and says he sees it all the time on Michelins this age (5 years).
I feel I was lucky because this particular tire had been rotated from the front 3,000 miles before it blew.
Sine I am leaving Monday to travel from Florida to North Dakota I did not feel safe with these tires anymore. I also have no confidence that I would not have the same prioblem with Michelin tires in the future.
I may noy be the majority but I know my situation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't detect anyone being touchy - just telling what normally happens. If you read many forums, you'll see that most tire problems are indeed due to abuse, mostly due to underinflation because most people don't weigh their coach. They try to jockey tire pressures around to achieve a smooth ride and don't give too much consideration to sidewall flex in doing so.
If your tires are 5 years old (are you sure they aren't older?), then I'd replace them anyway. Depending on where you live, they can get more than their share of abuse in that time.
I'm glad that you know your situation - but you don't know everyone else's. I've read volumes about tire problems over the years, and what you say that you're doing is not the norm. I wouldn't be so quick next time to jump on someone for stating the norm. I'm certain that Gary knows his situation, and has enough experiance to know what's going on out there as well - the subject has been discussed over and over, and still people don't listen.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:25 AM   #8

All this information has been extremely helpful and this open discussion is the way to discerne the information.

I have to replace all 8 of my Holiday Rambler 8R19.5 tires before this season starts. I know I will NOT have Michelins on it. The replacements will be of recent manufacture and I have this great forum to thank for the info.

1992 HR Imperial, "87" Prowler Lynx, "88" Coleman Williamsburg.
RedHR35CSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:25 AM   #9

Maybe I was to sensitive but I took offense to the response to my first response.
The question was if anyone had failures. I simply responded that I did.
I did not like being told that:
"It is my observation that people gripe about ALL Michelin tires. On the other hand, just about every RV comes with Michelins, so if people have a tire gripe it is almost surely going to be related to Michelin."

"Let's face it, most RV tire failures are in fact the result of customer [shall we say] inattention. Things you can get away with on passenger car tires will result in outright failures on large vehicles."

And yes the tires were 5 years old. Duh, I read the date code and so did the serviceman who changed it. Mfg June 1999, blowout in April 2004, Oops it was less than 5 years old. Sorry.
I guess because most RV's come new with Michelins it must not have happened.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Bob G,
My post was in no way directed at you and I'm sorry you took it that way. It was in direct response to the original message which stated It seems that the 22.5 Michelin tires are the ones people gripe about. and I maintain that complaints are not limited to that Michelin one size or model. Your report of a failure in a 19.5" Michelin illustrates the point, I think.

You are to be congratulated on the attention you pay to your tires and I wish more RV owners were as diligent as you obviously are.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #11

My original Winnie had the tires replaced when I bought it. They were "Giant" brand. I never did find out the actual manufacturer. They were 8R19.5's. Coming out of Orlando onto 95 the inner right rear disintegrated. Probably my fault. I failed to check them due to time when leaving Disney World. One of those "duhs".

Now I won't move the unit without checking them. The Winnie burnt to the ground a year ago next month so those tires went bye-bye. But my HR will get new shoes in May.

1992 HR Imperial, "87" Prowler Lynx, "88" Coleman Williamsburg.
RedHR35CSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now I won't move the unit without checking them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now everyone in this thread get a piece of chalk and go to the black board and write this 10 times.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:31 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, 154 views and only one or two 19.5" blowouts reported. Neither was a XRV.

Our Sightseer came with 225/70R-19.5F XRV. I'm not sure if this tire has steel belts in the sidewall.

I had heard the Goodyear G670RV has a continuous steel belt connecting the sidewall to the tread, in one piece.

I have also heard that 2 or 3 ply sidewalls flex more than a single ply and build up more heat.

What I know about tires would fit in a gnat's watch pocket. More research is needed by me.

Thanks