Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #1

1983 Diamond class C smells like gasoline inside

Whenever we have to fill the tanks ( very slowly like 1 gal. at a time, seriously) the inside of the motorhome starts to smell like gasoline to the point that I have to get out of it so I can breath, then we have to leave the windows open for a while as we are going down the road to get the smell out. Hubby has dropped both tanks, replaced fuel pump and sending unit in rear tank( it still won't register gas but the front tank does)and put new filler hose on because old one was trash. The front tank only had one strap holding it and was at an angle, he said the hoses looked good and he made sure the hose and vent hoses were up, not sagging. Any ideas why the gas fumes fill the inside when getting gas, any ideas would be better than mine, which is none . PS 1 other problem, after going down the road for about 20 minutes at night the dash, brake, running and headlights all start flashing on and off???? Hubby replaced the pull-on headlight switch but it still does it ???????
lotzopets42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #2

The Ford chassis of this era had an overload issue that effected the head light circuitry and the lights would go off then back on, controlled by the auto reset breaker in the circuit.

There was a recall that was installed on some trucks that added a relay in the head lights only side of the circuit.

If you can find some info on this issue on line, you can modify the circuit yourself, it's not difficult.

The cause of the problem is with the head lights on the same circuit as the interior lights, the circuit gets over heated due to the amperage draw.

So with that information, and the ability to follow a wire diagram, you can install the relay between the head lights and the switch to decrease the load on that side of the circuit.

This will resolve the lights blinking issue.

Sorry, without eyes on the problem, I can't help much with the gasoline smell.

G/L
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

I bet I can help with the gasoline smell....
Your coach was built before the problems caused by alcohol in motorfuel were understood. I know your guy said that they look good, but you have to find all of them and the one that gets called a "fill vent" line is the worst. Find that one first.
Even so, all the rubber in the fuel system is probably junk and leaking all over. When I say all the rubber, I do mean all the rubber, fill hoses, vent lines and everything. You will probably have to take the tanks down.
We had to do this to both my Cayo and my friend's GMC. It was not a lot of fun for either, but things were better when we were done.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #4

Thank you so much for your detailed info, I will do internet search for hubby. For now, we won't drive at night
Old 08-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

Frank, that makes sense, thank you, hubby reading over my shoulder just sighed, "all those hoses" !! Will start search for marine hose as I saw youtube video that it works better and is cheaper. Thank you
Old 08-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not only hoses but every part of the fuel and vapor recovery system including carb gaskets, fuel pump diaphragms, filters etc. Essentially any rubber or plastic that the fuel touches on it's way from the tank to the tailpipe. It could burn your rig down if one leaks into the hot engine compartment.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Thank you, hubby has the front tank ground, we will be going to town for hoses tomorrow. Thanks again

Tags
class c, gas, smell