Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
1987 Foretravel Grand Villa OREG

Most of the rigs I have been looking at have been 1993 or later so generally speaking, would I be nuts to get a rig of this era with a gas engine? I had a 1985 25' Barth Class A on a Chevy chassis with no engine modifications and it was fine on the flat land even towing a 4000lb toad. However, add just a little bit of uphill grade and it was wide open throttle in second or sometimes even first.

We won't really be driving much. I anticipate less than 3000 miles a year, maybe even half that -- it depends. At least part of the year however we will be in the Southwest where the speed limit is 70 on two lane roads and 75 on the interstate.

Regarding this rig, it's a Ford 460 gas pusher, on an Oshkosh chassis, on leaf springs I believe. The tranny should be a Ford C6 which is a three speed.

I'll see this rig tomorrow. If it is as described, it was taken care of and used every season. If that's true, it'll be the first one.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

Foretravel built a GREAT coach. The OREGS are a bit finicky. They tend to run on the hot side. If you buy it, contact me privately and I will help you out. I won't post it here because it'll turn into a huge controversy. If you can get it for a good price, and its in good shape, run with it. I've had several Foretravels.

rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you. Will do.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you get it, please post pics. I love the styling of those older Foretravel MH's.

That should have the Allison 4 speed trans and Torsilastic (huge rubber band) suspension right?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
^ I do not know about the suspension, other than I've read it's not airbag. I will look at it and get back to you. For some reason I thought it had the C6 for a tranny. I'll look at that as well. And will do on the pics.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I attached a pdf file from Motorhome magazine about the Foretravel U225 entry level MH that they offered back in the early nineties. Even though it was entry level, It was way ahead of it's time for the day.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #7

How was it?

I really liked the Foretravels we saw on dealer lots when we were looking. They had very impressive interiors. What did you think of this one? How did it drive? We never test drove one as the ones we looked at had strong smoke smells so were out of the question for us.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I attached a pdf file...
Thanks, that's neat. I'd read about that suspension on the Foretravel UniHomes(sp). Engineered to last a million miles. The reviewers raved about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
I really liked the Foretravels we saw on dealer lots...
We are scheduled to look at it tonight. I will report back.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
John, this rig is leaf sprung. The trans was a three speed so I'd assume it was the Ford C6.

micd, this rig was in exceptional condition. The roof looked new. There was very little rust underneath and what rust I did see was surface rust. Some of the engine and trans seals were seeping, but there was no oil on the ground. The interior was rosewood -- absolutely beautiful. My wife loved it. It ran wonderfully. That 460 pushed it down the road very well. There had been some engine work done to it. On the highway, on low rolling hills, 65 was not a problem at all. I had to watch myself to keep from speeding a few times. The ride was very comfortable. It wasn't multiple air-bag smooth, but it wasn't rough or truck-like either. It did have a front end shake after hitting a rough spot in the road. It self-corrected immediately and it wasn't scary but I suspect something is worn or mis-aligned. It needs new tires, so that may have contributed.

I need to do some research on the front end and a possible brake issue, but this is the first rig I've been excited about. I can see us buying this rig.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

You may want to go to www.foreforums.com the Foretravel owners forum. It's free to Join there are some folks that own those coaches, as well as lots of knowledgeable tech folks. Sounds like a fun coach to own/restore.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Bruce. I've been reading over there. I've also been reading through some of the information you've compiled and posted over the years. Thank you for you work -- it's well done and very helpful to new (older) dummies like me. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Update: We couldn't work the price out so it was a no-go. It was a very nice coach though, it just needed tires, some front end work, brake work, and very little else.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #13

Not sure where you are in Montana but this is in northern Wyoming.
2000 WINNEBAGO **SE**
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
micd, good find! He's eight hours away. I just got off the phone with him. He's already got two people looking at it. It sounds like it may be sold.

« Toilet | Giant RV »