Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #1

Hello
I don't know if this is the right area to post
Hope It is ?? heres my Problem
I've had this MH for a little over a year and it just developed a Problem with the Electric
The button on the Dash that I would Normally hold for a few seconds (grn light) would come on and all the Coach lighting would run either off my battery or the Generator now I can hear the solenoid click but it just won't hold on
can anyone help

2nd ??
I bought it from a real wrong person after the sale he told me nothing so needless to say I have no Books on it nor anything else he Promised
so if you may know where to get anything on it please let me know
I email that link about getting wire diagram about a week or so ago and I've not heard back

Thanks
Tom

1990 Winnie Chieftain 31
Big Chevy
Everything but cent. Vac

ROARRRR!
Tommy__T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

Hello
I don't know if this is the right area to post
Hope It is ?? heres my Problem
I've had this MH for a little over a year and it just developed a Problem with the Electric
The button on the Dash that I would Normally hold for a few seconds (grn light) would come on and all the Coach lighting would run either off my battery or the Generator now I can hear the solenoid click but it just won't hold on
can anyone help

2nd ??
I bought it from a real wrong person after the sale he told me nothing so needless to say I have no Books on it nor anything else he Promised
so if you may know where to get anything on it please let me know
I email that link about getting wire diagram about a week or so ago and I've not heard back

Thanks
Tom

1990 Winnie Chieftain 31
Big Chevy
Everything but cent. Vac

ROARRRR!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #3

I am not quite sure what you are talking about but it sounds like an electrical relay to switch a power source on or off.

Do a google search for "RV latching relay" and you will find several sources. Then go find your relay on your MH and see if it matches. It should be in or near the battery compartment. I just replaced mine because it would go back and forth. There are also 2 5 amp fuses on it which may have blown.

Latching relays use little to no power when not being used and therefore are the relay of choice for turning coach batteries on and off.

Hopes this help.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:42 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your battery disconnect/connect relay is a Intellitec which is the most common, it will require a minimum of 6 - 8 volts to latch. Before you make the decision to replace the switch verify the voltage to the relay is at least 6 - 8 volts.

John
Old 06-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
In answer to your other question go to www.winnebagoind.com
Click on Resourses and then click on Manuals.
There you will be able to find out information on your particular motorhome.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
What the heck does the switch you are talkig about say? I never saw a switch on the dash that was used to select where the interior lights were powered from.

The only switch on the dash I can think of that might work as described is the momentar switch for usng the coach battery to boost the starting circuit.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #7

Thanks
first off
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In answer to your other question go to www.winnebagoind.com
Click on Resourses and then click on Manuals.
There you will be able to find out information on your particular motorhome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will not go back to 1990
I only wish but Thank you

The switch I speak of is Larger than any on my Dash (I'll take a Picture when I can)
Its just left of the radio
when it was working I would hold it for a few seconds and the Green light would stay LIT
I then would have all my Outlets and Lights working
I also (in the green light mode) would be able to Start the generator with that switch/Light not working I cannot star the Gen. or use any lights Including my Stairs they will not open or close

Thanks for the reply's anymore are VERY very welcome
Tom

ROARRRR!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Confused I am ... lights normally are 12v and outlets are 120v. The more info the better at this point!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The switch I speak of is Larger than any on my Dash (I'll take a Picture when I can)
Its just left of the radio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This sounds like the switch to select radio power from HOUSE or ENGINE battery -- but mine has no green light, and it would have no effect on lights or outlets.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> when it was working I would hold it for a few seconds and the Green light would stay LIT
I then would have all my Outlets and Lights working </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This sounds like generator start switch. My green light blinks until genny starts, then is solid green. That would make all outlets & lights work.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also (in the green light mode) would be able to Start the generator with that switch/Light not working I cannot star the Gen. or use any lights Including my Stairs they will not open or close </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This sounds like the house battery disconect switch, but mine does not have any green light. This switch turned on would make lights & outlets work, but shouldn't have any effect on the steps as they normally run off the engine battery -- I don't think this switch is normally on the dash.

The MOM (or battery boost) switch could make a click when triggered, and could make the lights work if the house batteries are dead or disconnected, but mine has no green light, and the MOM switch will not stay connected unless you keep holding it.

NO switch should by itself make the outlets work unless shore power is connected OR generator is running.

Here's a thought -- is it perhaps a switch to power the inverter? ...that should have no effect on 12v lights, but it would make the outlets work off the batteries UNLESS the batteries are dead OR UNLESS the house battery disconnect switch is triggered.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #9

Sure does sound like the remote generator switch. If it is clicking the batteries do not have enough charge in them to start the generator. Check the house battery voltage.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #10

When you say it won't hold on, do the lights come on and then go off when you release the button?