Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

1997 Fleetwood - ABS sensor?

Hi all.
I'm posting for my dad, who abhors forums. He's a retired mechanic/welder who just invested in a 31' 1997 Fleetwood Bounder so he and gramma can come visit us and the grandkids. They got it for a really good price, but while driving it home after purchasing it, the brakes went to the floor, hot smells came from below, and he limped home on the parking brake.
I've been reading up, and he has a P30 chassis with a 454 (not sure if Vortec or not). I've learned more than I ever want to about the rotten green switch, but thankfully, it looks like that is not an issue on this RV right now. I'm a bit fuzzy on what he's replaced brake-wise so far, but he's spent about $2,000 doing the work himself. Did I mention that I'm in Georgia and he's in Florida? So far, it sounds like straightforward brake work, but he believes he needs to replace the ABS sensors, and he can't find them anywhere.
Long story short, any good resources for ABS sensors for this chassis?
TIA,
Brian
lostedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

I noticed that I said it's a Bounder, but it's a Fleetwood Flair.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Brian and

ABS sensors will not cause the pedal to go to the floor.

Bounder or Flair - makes no difference. The important thing is the P30 GM chassis. Coach is a 1997 but the chassis could be a 1996 (typical). I'm not sure that the P30 even had ABS in '96. The Ford F53 motorhome chassis didn't get ABS until '99. I'm sure someone else can verify about the P30.

With pedal to the floor and hot smells from below, I would suspect one or more stuck brake calipers. Calipers won't release creating massive heat- brake fluid starts to boil - brake pedal goes to the floor.

If it were me I would replace Master Cylinder; Calipers & Pads; Hoses (only do rotors if it really needs them) and thorough bleeding with fresh fluid.

You say he's spent $2000 already?!? Can't be all on the brakes. I just did a complete brake rebuild (less rotors) on my Ford chassis and I spent less than $500.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I will double-check with him on the phone tonight, but he said it's not a 96-97 model, but a true 97. Not sure what that part means, but maybe it's that he spent $1000 so far, and the rest of the hardware he needed would be another $1000. He did say that there were some definite "fried" pieces in the brakes, but I'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi Brian and

ABS sensors will not cause the pedal to go to the floor.

Bounder or Flair - makes no difference. The important thing is the P30 GM chassis. Coach is a 1997 but the chassis could be a 1996 (typical). I'm not sure that the P30 even had ABS in '96. The Ford F53 motorhome chassis didn't get ABS until '99. I'm sure someone else can verify about the P30.

With pedal to the floor and hot smells from below, I would suspect one or more stuck brake calipers. Calipers won't release creating massive heat- brake fluid starts to boil - brake pedal goes to the floor.

If it were me I would replace Master Cylinder; Calipers & Pads; Hoses (only do rotors if it really needs them) and thorough bleeding with fresh fluid.

You say he's spent $2000 already?!? Can't be all on the brakes. I just did a complete brake rebuild (less rotors) on my Ford chassis and I spent less than $500.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Well, he's the mechanic, but that sounds like a lot of money just for brake parts. Maybe that '97 Flair wasn't in such great shape afterall?

And ABS has nothing to do with anything mentioned so far. It certainly doesn't cause the pedal to go down or the brakes to not work. And it may well not have ABS anyway. I don't know when they started with ABS ontheP30, but they had it by around 1999.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #6

I did find this thread online
P-30 brake system (scroll to the bottom)
So it seems another person had stuck brakes get so hot that the bearings went bad and the ABS sensor melted. I have never priced any of these parts, but if the calipers, rotors, pads, bearings, and ABS sensors suffered from the heat, that sounds expensive. Not arguing, since I've never laid eyes on this RV, but it sounds plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Well, he's the mechanic, but that sounds like a lot of money just for brake parts. Maybe that '97 Flair wasn't in such great shape afterall?

And ABS has nothing to do with anything mentioned so far. It certainly doesn't cause the pedal to go down or the brakes to not work. And it may well not have ABS anyway. I don't know when they started with ABS ontheP30, but they had it by around 1999.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #7

I hope I don't sound rude, because I do appreciate all of the good ideas so far. If, for the sake of argument, the ABS sensors were bad, are there any retailers any of you have found that are trustworthy or have good prices?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try RockAuto.com
They show the ABS speed sensors for a '97 Chev P30 VAN. AC Delco @ $110 ea.
I've bought from them several times and was satisfied. Gotta watch shipping charges though. Some bigger or heavier items could cost less locally due to shipping.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood