Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #1

1997 Safari - velvet ride worn out

My Monaco Safari 1997 suspension is completely worn out, what his the best solution ? replacing it or installing air bags ?
Gilbert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #2

Any worn out suspension parts need to be replaced before the fail and leave you stranded. Once you have all of your suspension repaired to factory specs then I would see if the ride still needs improvement and go from there.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck62 View Post
Any worn out suspension parts need to be replaced before the fail and leave you stranded. Once you have all of your suspension repaired to factory specs then I would see if the ride still needs improvement and go from there.
Well, I contacted a Monaco technician and he told me that they cost approx. 2000$ each and I need 4 of those plus installation. So I am having air bags installed for about 5k. I will have control on my suspension elevation and comfort...

Should do the trick.

Tks
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Is it a Freightliner chassis? A Monaco Safari should have a Magnum chassis (made by Safari).

If the steering and front suspension parts are worn out, adding helper air bags isn't going to help. Or are you just replacing the front air bags? $5k seems like a lot of money for either of those.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

It's the Velvet ride from Goodrich that's weak or too soft. When i hit a severe pothole, it breaks the power brakes pump. Happened 3 times in the 2 years I have owned the Monaco. I could remove a few 1/4 inch plates to rise it up but the rubbers in the suspension are still 14 years old. So, installing an air suspension with compressor and 3 gallons air tanks will raise it off the ground and the ride will be improved greatly. Right now, i can feel all the little cracks and bumps in the road. The appointment is Tuesday, it should take a day, a day in a half to do. Will let you know the difference.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

And it is a Magum, the steering is ok,
Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

This is the Freightliner forum, not Monaco/Safari or Goodrich. Since the question concerns the Goodrich Velvet Ride, I'm moving your post to Motorhome General
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote