Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Lightbulb 1st night in the MH

A month or so after we brought the '05 Dolphin home and before we went on our first trip, we spent a couple of nights and mornings in the MH while parked in the back yard. We are fortunate to have 50A service from my shop and a water line from the back of the house so we weren't "dry-camping". The intent was to go through a supper -> night -> breakfast cycle a couple of times as a pre-shake-down test so that we would learn what we "forgot" while still at home and close to all of the reliable stores we regularly use.
This worked out very well and we didn't have any "left-at-home"s when we went on the multi week trip last year.

This spring we went to Tampa Bay for a week and realized that we should have spent at least one night-morning cycle in the MH in the back yard because we did in fact have a few "left-at-home" things that we now have two of.

Outside of a checklist that's as long as a phone book, what have you, oh wise RV gurus found works for you, to minimize the "left-at-home"s?
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything that goes in our trailer stays in our trailer i.e. tool kit, utensils, cook ware... clothing depends on the trip. I designed the AC and heater which are portable to access through the same hoses connectors etc which stay with the trailer. As you said you now have duplicates of forgotten items.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #3

We go the other way around. The DW bought some of those cheap plastic storage tubs with lids. She has them labelled "dry kitchen", "wet kitchen", "cookwear", "bedding", etc., etc.

They are not too big so easy to carry and they stack when empty.

This way she can bring in all the pots, pans, dishes, bedding, towels, etc., and give them a run through the dishwasher or laundry as the case may be and have them all clean and ready to go back into the m/h for the next trip.

Besides she's a bit of a fussy cleaner, emptying the place makes giving it a thorough vacuum and cleaning much easier.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #4

Ours stays loaded - husband says, "loaf of bread, gallon of milk and we are ready to go." Needless to say, takes a few more groceries than that but we can be out and on the road at a moments notice - usually stopping at a Wal Mart for necessary food items.
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Nine page check list, we still miss an item now and then. We stay locally for a few nights before leaving for long trips, just gives a little more slack.

Part of the problem is each year is an evolving process, things come and go, so you have to keep revising the check list.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

Except for perishable food and dirty clothes nothing comes out of the RV. BUT on my last trip I needed to stop by Crown RV to pick up a flat 50 to 30 amp reducer and realized I did not have my purse so no money, no credit cards. Back home I went and that became another story in a misadventure.

I keep a pad on the kitchen counter that I write anything that is needed for the next trip on.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I don't worry about it much anymore. We're still trying to work through the 'Should've left it home' list. As long as I have a feel for the nearest WalMart, we never go wanting for anything very long.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Everything stays in the MH. When we come home perishable food and dirty clothes come in. The night before we leave we repack clothes and start the fridgerator. Next morning we fill a plastic tote with the perishables, restock the frig. and off we go.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #9

I do like to have everything stay in the motorhome at all times. I bought the same things that I have at home for the MH. I always leave a jacket and things like toiletries toothbrush etc. I only have to take the time to get food and clothes. DH has all of the things he needs too. Like tools and all those things men need. Keep them all put away, packed and ready to
go

Jan
2012 Berkshire 360fws
mollyabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaram View Post
Ours stays loaded - husband says, "loaf of bread, gallon of milk and we are ready to go." Needless to say, takes a few more groceries than that but we can be out and on the road at a moments notice - usually stopping at a Wal Mart for necessary food items.
About the same here, even the freezers (yep, we have two) are loaded, ready to go. Just need the clothing, medications and cats then we're ready to go. Even have some spare clothing in the MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have learned over the years that if you take something out of the RV and use it in the house it will be forgotten.

Our coach now has everything we need and we don't ever "borrow" out of it.

Clothes and chow have to be loaded and that's it.

Of course there are Walmarts everywhere so if anything does disappear a new one is easy to find.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WE did the same, spent about $50 on the road to get what we forgor,,,,Not bad for us at all
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #13

Like a lot say on this board, we have our motor home stocked with fundamentals. This includes toiletries, tools, bedding, towels, and non pershiable food items.
After a trip, we take out all dirty linens and clothes and refrigerator stuff .We put the ketchup, mayo, mustard, butter, etc , in a small plastic container and keep it in our garage refrigerator so it stays separate from our daily household supplies, and is ready to be carried out to the mh when getting ready for our next trip.
The linens are washed and back they go...
So for the next trip we just put in the food, medicine and clothing and off we go.
We have very rarely forgotten anything but if we do we can just get it at Walmart on the way.
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I have duplicate EVERYTHING

I also use a whiteboard to write down things that are low or that have ran out.

I have better clothes in the motorhome than I do in the stick house.

(family already knows I'm a lazy bum... figure I can fool you guys for awhile)
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote