Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

1st RV show impressions (Houston)

Well went to my first RV show last night in Houston and was a bit disappointed with the number of vendors. I guess I am acustomed to the boat show which has hundreds. I was was hoping to talk to some ins. and finance reps but none present? OK enough of my rant here's the good news.. I got to check out the Tiffins, Newmars, Monaco's, and Fleetwoods under one roof. To be honest, I didn't see a ton of diff. between the makers in the way of woodwork and appointments - all seem to have nice products. I had written off Fleetwood due to some forums but now I am not so sure. I know some construction is more than skin deep but most of the makers listed above seemed pretty closelly matched.
Drop In is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #2

Nice helpful report. I personally think you are right on Fleetwood today
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been to the Houston RV Show for a couple years now. Although it is a disappointment on not enough Vendor Reps, there is a fairly good variety of the different types of RVs. I was disappointed that the high end Winnebago's were not present, only the Class C's. I wonder if that is a symptom of the times. Holiday World Of Houston is now a Fleetwood dealer and they opted to have that line there instead of the Class A Winnebago, like the Tour, or Journey.

I am just amazed at the "dance floor" space that is in the living area. Just seems like a lot of wasted space once those slide are extended. Also, it seems that every MH has ONE item that I would like to have in a MH, but none of them combine the items as the user would like them. I was walking around with other admirers of MH's and we all had the same consensus. Get a bunch of RV'ers together and let them design a MH. One example would be the television n the living area. You are either cranking your nect to view it over the windshield, or you are cranking your neck sitting on one of the couches to view it mid coach. I only saw one coach that had Euro Chairs that could be unlatched and moved for convenience, but them you would block the "dance floor."

Every one has their own idea of what they want. I'm going to have to stick to what I have for two reasons. Can't afford a new one, and I'm relatively happy with what I have. Of course, DW would like a Prevost, but she can't afford one of those either. She just thinks they are pretty on the outside.

Oh! And one of the Newmar's (Mountain Aire) was $715,000+. I'm sorry, but I didn't see where all that cost was.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #4

Wayne - yeah it was nice to be able to compare floor plans (the reason I was there as i am planning to buy used this summer) and it was cool because nobody gave me the time of day because i was wearing work boots and baseball cap (neglected to notice the Omega on my wrist..LOL) so i was able to look around without a salesman breathing down my neck..
Drop In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood is as good as any and better than some. And there top of the line models are among the best. No reason to ignore them if you find one you like.

I'm kind of surprised that Houston did not have a big RV show. Tampa, FL and Hershey PA, have huge ones, even in this poor economy. Other places as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the show did lack aftermarket vendors, But I did enjoy seeing what was offered, Not that I have any needs for a new motorhome anytime soon according to the wife.

I was hoping to pick up some LED light bulbs, Only one vendor had any but wrong type for me.
gresults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #7

We are in Chicago for the auto show and noticed that the surburb of Rosemount has a rv show this weekend. Not to many motorhomes advertised on their website but we will be going.
OSL50 is offline   Reply With Quote