Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #1

OK, first tire problem in 4 motor homes. Passenger side tag has slow leak from a bolt or screw right in middle of the tread. Used a compressor to air it back up from 40 to 85 lbs so I can get to a truck tire dealer. Any advice or things to watch out for? Not sure if it will be repairable or need to be replaced.

BTW, called the insurance carrier for the tire policy and they authorized repair or replacement over the phone. We'll see how it goes.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #2

OK, first tire problem in 4 motor homes. Passenger side tag has slow leak from a bolt or screw right in middle of the tread. Used a compressor to air it back up from 40 to 85 lbs so I can get to a truck tire dealer. Any advice or things to watch out for? Not sure if it will be repairable or need to be replaced.

BTW, called the insurance carrier for the tire policy and they authorized repair or replacement over the phone. We'll see how it goes.

Estero, FL
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Be sure they don't stick a plug in it from the outside. It will fail.

The tire needs to be removed and a patch plug combination repair will make it good as new. An example of a radial repair patch combo is here http://www.patchrubber.com/tire_repair/14040.html
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Donavon's advice on the plug patch repair from the inside is right on. Picking up things, - bolts, screws, nails - in a tag or rear dual tire is not uncommon. The front tire essentially stands the piece of debris up as it rolls over it and the rear tire gets stabbed by it before it has an apportunity to fall back down.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Please let us know how the tire insurance plays out (pays out, hopefully). Had considered it in the past, and still thinking about it.
Thanks! And good luck.
<span class="ev_code_RED">15 more days...</span>
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #6

Here's an update on the tire problem:
1. Called North Trail RV in Ft. Meyers and they suggested Martin's Garage for tire repair.
2. Called Martin's and they got me in. Pulled the tire, took it off the wheel, patched it and reinstalled. Took about one hour.
3. Cost was $36.99
4. The tire insurance carrier called my the same morning, as promised, gave me a claim number and said to fax the receipt and my policy front page to them for reimbursement. I'll do that later this week when we are back home.

All in all not a big deal. I'm glad I noticed it before we left on this short trip to Key West. I'll let you know what transpires when I submit the bill for payment.

Estero, FL
Old 12-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
A follow-up on the discussion pertaining to using a "Plug". It is ILLEGAL to use a plug on ANY on highway use tire.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #8

Re: plug for the tire. That must be why Martin's said they would not plug it, but instead used a patch-type repair from inside. Anyway, it is holding fine, and we had no problems in the 275 miles down to the keys.

Estero, FL
Old 12-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
FYI: Tires repaired from the inside often use a patch which is similar to what most people are familiar with when they patched the inner tube of a bicycle tire. If the injury was a bit more severe, a plug patch may be used. The plug patch is made with a plug as an integral part of the patch. The inside of the tire is prep'd the same as it would be for a standard flat patch, the hole is cleaned out, then the plug portion of the plug patch, gooped up with tire cement, is pulled through the tire injury hole and the patch portion is applied normally to the inside of the tire. The plug portion helps protect the tire cords that were damaged during the penetration of the foreign oblect and insure the hole is filled. A larger tire injury is normally repaired by a retread shop using what is called a section repair.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #10

So I'm curious, what does a "section repair" consist of?

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 AM   #11

Update: got the check today from the insurance company to cover the repair. Paid in full. So, it worked this time .

Estero, FL
Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who issued the tire repair policy? NSD or.....?