Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Five year old tires would be a huge concern for me.
__________________

__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Five year old tires would be a huge concern for me.
Why? Michelin states 10 years max. with annual professional inspections from 5 years, who told you 5 was max? This MH was stored inside, no sunlight on tires or MH. No cracks, even tiny one whatsoever on any tires.
__________________

__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Hooligan's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 2,204
Ray: Way ahead of me on the diesel fuel. Sounds like it's really shaping up. enjoy
__________________
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,364
Something that hasn't been mentioned is if it's on a Spartan Chassis, which I believe it is. I can almost guarantee you that it needs new Ball Joints because the boots are going to be toast!!!
__________________
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned is if it's on a Spartan Chassis, which I believe it is. I can almost guarantee you that it needs new Ball Joints because the boots are going to be toast!!!
I just phoned my friend with a 04 Essex. He said his ball joints and boots were in good condition, he had them checked while at the Newmar factory.
Our test-drive yesterday went very well. Steering was solid and firm/no play in steering wheel, no noises making sharp turns, no road wander, etc.
CW will inspect the ball joints on our MH for damage to boots, and replace if necessary under their prep package. Anything safety-related is covered at their expense, under the prep package.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,939
I feel ready to go on a trip with it.
__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,364
The problem is you can't replace just the boots. The whole Ball Joint assembly has to be replaced. You mention you talked with a friend with a 2004 Essex, that doesn't seem to be a problem year, but 2000 was. The supplier to Newmar was selling them inferior boots. I know from 1st hand knowledge. My 2000 Dutch Star had to have the Ball Joints replaced. But I think it's great that CW will step up to the plate and replace them at no charge to you, that's like someone giving you $2,000.
__________________
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
We are "in-process" of buying an extended service contract. Today I received a copy of one contract from "Pro-Trek", through Wholesalewarranties.com. With the emerald upgrade package, which includes gaskets and seals; these boots apparently are covered.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
stink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Why? Michelin states 10 years max. with annual professional inspections from 5 years, who told you 5 was max? This MH was stored inside, no sunlight on tires or MH. No cracks, even tiny one whatsoever on any tires.
Sunlight causes little damage to tires. Its the ozone in the air. This reason you should always check date codes even on tires at the tire store. I have seen 7 year old tires on the shelf at a local tire store and would not buy them even for wholesale. Filling with nitrogen will help a little but still, seven years then replace.
__________________
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Ramets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We are "in-process" of buying an extended service contract. Today I received a copy of one contract from "Pro-Trek", through Wholesalewarranties.com. With the emerald upgrade package, which includes gaskets and seals; these boots apparently are covered.

If as you stated in an earlier post that CW would take care of the ball joints if the boots are bad, I would definitely hold them to that. It's fine that the extended warranty you're looking at apparently cover's boots, you should take into consideration when the boots might need replacement. Now when it's on a lot and they know you're interested, or down the road somewhere when it wouldn't be so convenient to get them replaced. It's quite a job changing out the ball joints. Where will you stay while someone does the work? Will they let you stay in the coach while it's up on jackstands? Or will you have to stay in a motel? Which is a real pain. Keep in mind most warranties will reimburse you only for the time someone is actually working on the coach, not while it's sitting waiting for parts. Just a few thoughts you should consider. If it was me, I'd have CW replace the ball joints, IF the boots are indeed bad, before I took possession.
__________________
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post

Sunlight causes little damage to tires. Its the ozone in the air. This reason you should always check date codes even on tires at the tire store. I have seen 7 year old tires on the shelf at a local tire store and would not buy them even for wholesale. Filling with nitrogen will help a little but still, seven years then replace.
If i hear you correctly, there is no need to cover RV tires to protect them from sunlight, right? That makes sense if ozone is the problem, it's everywhere. Why would michelin state 10 years replacement max., and inspected annually at 5 years-out, if that is wrong? Everyone here seems to think Michelin are the best RV tires sold today, why would they shoot themselves in the foot, by making such a bold, broad statement?


I've seen the after-effects of a ruptured 22.5" tire, on a Renegade Explorer MH. It completely tore-away the LF fender and lighting, L side of hood, ruined the rim. We stopped to help if possible. The owner said it was 2 yrs. old. The only thing we could do it get back on the interstate and out of the way.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
If as you stated in an earlier post that CW would take care of the ball joints if the boots are bad, I would definitely hold them to that. It's fine that the extended warranty you're looking at apparently cover's boots, you should take into consideration when the boots might need replacement. Now when it's on a lot and they know you're interested, or down the road somewhere when it wouldn't be so convenient to get them replaced. It's quite a job changing out the ball joints. Where will you stay while someone does the work? Will they let you stay in the coach while it's up on jackstands? Or will you have to stay in a motel? Which is a real pain. Keep in mind most warranties will reimburse you only for the time someone is actually working on the coach, not while it's sitting waiting for parts. Just a few thoughts you should consider. If it was me, I'd have CW replace the ball joints, IF the boots are indeed bad, before I took possession.
We indeed will. i was merely pointing out boots are apparently covered by some parts of a ESC.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
hogdriver's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wintering-Orange Beach AL
Posts: 2,915
2000

Looks like a nice unit. Just scanning the photos it appears the frig is a Norcold. I had a Norcold 1200 in my 2003 Monaco. Make sure the dealer complied with the three or four (don't know how many) recalls on the cooling unit on the Norcold.
__________________
Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
Yup, Norcold 1200, I lost track of the recalls :( , I spoke with the CW salesman this afternoon and repeated my request to insure ALL recalls are performed per Norcold.
__________________

__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.