Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
There has been problems with vacum leaks causing the lean condition. Look at passenger side valve cover follow the tube that is at the back to behind the throttle body. Where the tube attaches is a 90 degree rubber connector that goes bad, you will have trouble seeing it you may need a mirror. I had the same problem on a 5.4 same engine just 8 cylinders. What you are describing does not sound like water in the fuel. While water will cause lean condition you should get misfire codes on the cylinders.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #16

The quick fix for water in the gas is a quart of vodka for every 20 gallons of gas. Water dissolves in alcohol and is no longer in droplets within the gasoline, so it goes through the fuel delivery system without blocking things up with the droplets.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried driving it with a fuel pressure gauge installed?
Would be good to know what the fuel pressure is when the concern is happening.
Otherwise all I can do is guess, I would suspect a partially plugged fuel injector or fuel pressure regulator problem.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
i have bought that hose and pcv valve but have not installed it yet i can't feel any cracks in it though the fuel pressure is great but i don't know what volume it is suppose to come out at. thanks for the help to all. i will post the fix when we find it im sure there will be others.
hippievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #19

Cool

I know it may not be helpful, but I had a simalar problem with a Ford engine a while back and after the shop had gone through all of the above mentioned checks, a friend suggested that I change the spark plug wires. He said that after a period of time the wires broke down to where they did not sustain the fire needed in a load situation. It was worth a try and not as expensive as I had thought. Needless to say after installing a new set of wires much to my amazement he was right. Ran like a clock with no more problems. FWIW

RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
yes the technician has drove with a fuel gauge plenty of fuel pressure. the rv only has 54k on engine it is a 2001 chinook concourse ford v10 6.8l it runs great other than 3/4 to full throttle it's just like a potato in the exhaust or running on fumes yes we have disconnected the catalytic convertor with same results.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you leave it sit for long periods of time with low fuel in the tank you will get water in the tank through condensation. Any light plane owner will tell you that. It becomes evident when the tank sumps are drained during pre-light inspections.

Always keep your fuel tank full of gasoline when sitting idle for periods of time.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #22

frankdamp, if vodka works the Polish moonshine called, 'spiritus' would work way better, my head still hurts.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post
I know it may not be helpful, but I had a simalar problem with a Ford engine a while back and after the shop had gone through all of the above mentioned checks, a friend suggested that I change the spark plug wires. He said that after a period of time the wires broke down to where they did not sustain the fire needed in a load situation. It was worth a try and not as expensive as I had thought. Needless to say after installing a new set of wires much to my amazement he was right. Ran like a clock with no more problems. FWIW

These engines have no plug wires they have 10 coil that sit on top of each spark plug. If you think it is water dump rubbing alcohol into the fuel tank. It will bind with the water and will burn out while driving.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #24
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
On my '99 F53 one of the coolant lines going over the motor was leaking when going up grades or hard acceleration. Seems the cheap hose clamp allowed coolant to leak down into the spark plug wells. This allowed a short to occur. Ran good on the flat. Put in new plug boots and coil. This is after spending big bucks to drop the tank, clean it and replace the fuel pump.

Put up with this for several years until a mechanic at the Ford repair place in Tucson knew about the problem.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks SRT ill have the technician look at that. he has order a external fuel pump wright now to hook up to see if that will fix the problem we don't think the volume of fuel is correct but have plenty of pressure. of course i'll keep you all posted on the out come of this nothing worse than having a engine proble that can't be found quickly. was yours the v10 6.8 l engine SRT ?
thanks again
Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #26

If your problem is water in fuel, you must have a lot of it, as most all gas sold today has 10% or more alcohol and should cue itself with the next tank. I would be looking for a vacuum leak.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #27
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippievan View Post
thanks SRT ill have the technician look at that. he has order a external fuel pump wright now to hook up to see if that will fix the problem we don't think the volume of fuel is correct but have plenty of pressure. of course i'll keep you all posted on the out come of this nothing worse than having a engine proble that can't be found quickly. was yours the v10 6.8 l engine SRT ?
thanks again
Yes, the engine is the v10. When the mechanic fixed the problem he showed me the "high water" marks on the spark plug boot. He also changed all the plugs with new boots. Cost me a few bucks but the end result was worth the cost.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippievan View Post
thanks srt ill have the technician look at that. He has order a external fuel pump wright now to hook up to see if that will fix the problem we don't think the volume of fuel is correct but have plenty of pressure. Of course i'll keep you all posted on the out come of this nothing worse than having a engine proble that can't be found quickly. Was yours the v10 6.8 l engine srt ?
Thanks again
it's fixed it was the pcm giving false readings to the mass air flow sensor thanks everyone.