Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2000 v10 6.8 water in fuel ?

hey everyone new to this group. suprise, suprise i'm having running problems 2000 ford v10 6.8 gas burner allright here it is chugs on heavy acceleration and on hills acting like water in fuel set lean codes in the pcm p0174, p0175 & p1131 so replace the mass air flow sensor and fuel filter added seafoam to the tank and let the sucker run out of fuel in the drive way put 10 gallons of gaas back in with seafoam same problem no codes reset though anyone have a problem with water in thier fuel what were the symptoms oh yeah i did check for a vacum leak and the fuel pressure runs between 30 and 35 even when the problem is evident.
thanks kirk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2000 v10

Hi, did you check the spark plug wires or the plugs.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi hippievan and welcome to IRV2!

Love the screen name, in my younger days I called mine a surfer van.

Water in the fuel tank sounds about right. Sounds like you have already found the problem, just not repaired yet. To verify water in the tank, pull the fuel filter and drain it into a cup or soda bottle, let settle and see if water is in bottom of cup. If so, running the engine out of gas won't solve because water is heavier then fuel and will sit below the fuel pick up tube. The only way to be sure to get all the water out is to remove the tank and clean it out. There are fuel additives for this concern, but only for small amounts of water, I think it's called fuel drier, basically it's woodgrain alcohol.
The problem is these tanks are big and if you have a drivability concern it is probably too late to dilute the water and run it out.
Good luck

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #4

I wonder if you could have a faulty crankshaft position sensor or faulty throttle position sensor?? Just a thought

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The lean codes you were getting are the biggest clue. The CPS and TPS will set different codes. Spark plugs or coils would also set a different code. It is common for lean codes to set when there is water in the fuel. The PCM detects all ignition and other sensors are ok, water will not burn and tricks the PCM into thinking the fuel system is too lean.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay Guys I think it has been confirmed water in the fuel it is like 15 degrees hear in north alabama and the fuel level is just a bit over empty and sure than sh@# it does not want to start im sure the fuel sock is frozen. Thank god there is a drain in the fuel tank i know what i"ll be doing when it warms up latter this week.
thanks all I"ll let ya know.

kirk
Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippievan View Post
Okay Guys I think it has been confirmed water in the fuel it is like 15 degrees hear in north alabama and the fuel level is just a bit over empty and sure than sh@# it does not want to start im sure the fuel sock is frozen. Thank god there is a drain in the fuel tank i know what i"ll be doing when it warms up latter this week.
thanks all I"ll let ya know.kirk
In South Alabama it's only 19 degrees. I got a load of bad diesel several years ago that was so bad that I had to drop the tank and drain it. I kept some in a jar to show the service station I got it from (had the receipt). It was a reputable station and their records confirmed that they had a problem previous to my tankful. I had the tank, engine cleaned; and two fuel filters. Their Insurance Co paid the tab. I always keep the receipts especially now! Hope your drain will get it all, but you may have to drop and drain that tank-good luck!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not fixed yet need to check and confirm my fuel pressure and go from there.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
well i decided to take to a shop see if they can figure it out hope its not gonna cost too much
Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome
Old 12-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #11

Wonder if the 00 V10 is approved for corn gas and if this could be part of the problem?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
well it's still in the shop there was some type of clean cumbustion box on the back side of the engine that the technician has disconnected and he thinks that may have been causing the problem he is going to disconnect the catalytic convertor and test drive today i'll let you all know of the out come.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cat converter, Yikes!
Good luck hippievan. Hope it's nothing that serious.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
still no luck disconnected convertor same problem 3/4 to full throttle acts like not getting fuel tried mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, drained fuel tank tried sea foam, new knock sensor
fuel pressure good can't find or hear any vacuum leaks keeps throwing lean codes
and knock sensor code. another gut is having the exact same problem on a ford forum site he can't figure it out either. both our vehicles had sat for a couple of months ran fine before sitting up. still runs fine in town driving as long as you dont have to accelerate hard. ??????????????