Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #1

2001 Itasca Sunrise black valve replacement

Has anybody had to replace a black tank gate valve on a 30' 2001 Itasca Sunrise?
lloydjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There have been numerous members with all different types and manufactures of coaches that have had to replace one or both valves on their black or gray tanks. I had to do mine a few months ago. If you have to replace one and they are tied together in close proximity to a central exit opening like mine, I would suggest doing both at the same time. Not sure what your situation is but if you have a specific question regarding the replacement procedure, please state again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #3

Itasca Sunrise black tank valve replacement

Thanks for the reply. The Itasca has a panel containing a pump switch, light switch and water transfer valves. The black and grey tank valves are behind it and controlled by a cable that feeds to the front panel where the handles are. I was concerned because when I took it to Camping World in La Mirada, Ca., the less than excited mechanic said it was too hard to do and sent me on my way. Was hoping someone out there replaced one of their valves and could give me a little insight. I agree with you and thank you for the advise about replacing both at the same time, I will do that.

Lloyd
Old 02-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Lloyd ...don't know the access situation on your Sunrise, but they aren't easy on my Ultimate. When I had a dealer replace the black valve, I found out later that they had cut a hole in the storage compartment wall next to the valves, and also in the floor metal panel on the bottom of the coach. They closed both holed very nicely or I would have been pretty upset with them. A couple of years later, I had to replace the gray valve. I found the only real access is to remove the wall of the storage compartment immediately in front of where the valves are. It easily comes out when screws are removed (and took less time and trouble than it took the idiot dealership to cut and close the holes they did). Then I had to go through some styrofoam insulation. I ended up replacing just the rubber seal rather than the entire valve when I figured out getting the valve out would be a lot more work, and I saw no reason to do that when I could just replace the seal where the blade seats. It took me the better part of a day to figure it out and complete the job.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #5

Black tank valve.

Thank you AFChap. I went to the Itasca site today and downloaded the schematic. Only problem is the schematic they have for my model does not come close to matching what is on mine. I think I'll try to photograph the back of the cover plate with all it's connections before I pull off the outer cover plate. I figure I will be working on it for a good day, but as long as I finally get it done. The amount of leaking I currently have is pretty serious and a mess when I try to connect my hose to the dump pipe.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While your working on it we'll be thinking of eewwww!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #7

An easy way out would be to get the valve that is mounted to a connector similar to the hose connector.that way you could connect the hose before opening the new valve and avoid dripping.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
get the valve that is mounted to a connector similar to the hose connector
I actually tried that when I was having my leak problems. It would be handy to use as a secondary valve for both tanks to help prevent drips when there are leaky valves. But I could not get it on mine either at the main outlet or on the clear elbow I have added onto the outlet. There just isn't room in my water service bay. If I could get the valve with rotating connectors I might be able to make it work ...or maybe put a short hose inside the compartment...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote