Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #1

I have a 2002 Coachman Cross Country, with diesel pusher, I bought this used with 30000 miles on it. It seems to wander some on the road and I need to know what is the best method of correcting this problem. ( shocks, rear stablizer, etc) I do not have a lot of money to spend on this. This has a front stearng stableizer installed, do not know the brand.(big and blue). Where do I start???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #2

I have a 2002 Coachman Cross Country, with diesel pusher, I bought this used with 30000 miles on it. It seems to wander some on the road and I need to know what is the best method of correcting this problem. ( shocks, rear stablizer, etc) I do not have a lot of money to spend on this. This has a front stearng stableizer installed, do not know the brand.(big and blue). Where do I start???

Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ken I would start with a alignment, or try shifting some weight up towards front axel. Have you had it weight? STICKER on wall near drivers seat should give you axel weights front an rear. Not enough weight on front axel may cause tires to not have a good foot print on road.
If you can't correct with weight change than get an alignment. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #4

I agree with "007". Alignment is probably the best start, and hopefully the finish. Going to stabilizers, shocks, etc. require an alignment anyway to work correctly. Make sure you distribute the weight prior to the alignment and also check your level heights to the specifications for your coach. If you need to adjust your level you can probably do it yourself. Make sure however, that you follow the prescribed proceedure including all the safety tips. Best of luck, and I sure hope your coach runs good after just the alignment.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #5

Sorry. Please disgard my comments regarding the level height. Those comments were directed to an air suspended coach. After re-reading your post I noticed you had a Ford chassis. The alignment point, however is still correct and hopefully is the answer.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ken and Delores,
I too have a 2002 motorhome. It took me awhile to get used to the fact that this thing doesn't have rack and pinion steering and therefore 'seems' to wander a little when compared to my car. Long story short, I had the front end aligned and then installed a Blue Ox TruCenter...what a difference.
Sam

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #7

I do have air suppsion on this motor home, I expect some rock and roll when in uneven ground, this is a freightliner xcs chassie, will look into front end alinement, thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:35 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ken, I also have an XCS chassis and don't have the problem with wandering. There was a service bulletin 34-2 that addressed ride and handling problems on the XCS chassis. If an owner complained in warranty, a Freightliner dealer could replace the shocks, add a rear anti-sway bar and some shims to limit front spring noise. For those of outside of warranty, the parts in the SB would have to be purchased separately.

I have had problems with porposing (FL calls it "rebound") and am in the process of replacing the standard shocks with the ones from FL recommended in the SB. With just the front ones on, there is a noticible difference in the rebound. When the second rear shock is available to me at the end of January, I'll install the rears, too.

I have a copy of the SB document if you are interested. I don't think that it is going to help your wanding problem, however. BTW, several others here including Hooligan have the XCS chassis and have been very helpful to me. Be sure to mention your chassis type in any future posts to draw their attention.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Your signature line says you have a Coachman Mirada on a Ford V10 chassis but your description says a Freightliner XCS diesel with air suspension. Very confusing! If you need to change your signature line, go to your Profile and edit it there.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Wandering is very unusual on an XCS and makes me think it may be tail-heavy or may have a worn/damaged steering component. A good truck alignment shop is the first step in any case, to eliminate a number of variables and hopefully validate the condition of the steering components.

A worn or damaged mount on the rear sway bar (I think the XCS has one as standard equipment) is another possibility. A rubber bushing may have broken or slipped out of position. That lets the back end move around, pushing the front end hither and yon.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 PM   #11

According to Freightliner (concerning my coach back in '02) there are three things that can affect the wandering problem. One is allignmnent, one is height of airbags (there is an adjustment and a specified measurement from and rear) and the third and easiest to fix is the proper air in the tires. Need to have your coach weighed on each corner and refer to the brochure or website for your tires. You need to put the same amount of air pressure in each tire on the same axle. It is not necessarily the maximum amount as posted on your tires or manual. This solved my handling problems completely. Try it and see.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #12

chasfm11, thanks for the reply I am checking t0 see if I am still under warranty, but if you could send me a copy of the service bulletin I would appreatate it. can you send it on the internet? my address is xkencar_1999@yahoo.com.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
Ken, I also have an XCS chassis and don't have the problem with wandering. There was a service bulletin 34-2 that addressed ride and handling problems on the XCS chassis. If an owner complained in warranty, a Freightliner dealer could replace the shocks, add a rear anti-sway bar and some shims to limit front spring noise. For those of outside of warranty, the parts in the SB would have to be purchased separately.

I have had problems with porposing (FL calls it "rebound") and am in the process of replacing the standard shocks with the ones from FL recommended in the SB. With just the front ones on, there is a noticible difference in the rebound. When the second rear shock is available to me at the end of January, I'll install the rears, too.

I have a copy of the SB document if you are interested. I don't think that it is going to help your wanding problem, however. BTW, several others here including Hooligan have the XCS chassis and have been very helpful to me. Be sure to mention your chassis type in any future posts to draw their attention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #13

sorry about that, I had a 2000 Mirada before I got the cross country.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
Your signature line says you have a Coachman Mirada on a Ford V10 chassis but your description says a Freightliner XCS diesel with air suspension. Very confusing! If you need to change your signature line, go to your Profile and edit it there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #14
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ken,

You need to check the bellcrank & make sure it's not frozen.This is a part that will always cause a wandering condition if it is sticky or frozen.Freightliner calls it "sticktion",We have one that uses tapered roller bearings as apposed to the bushings that come from the factory.It's not hard to check,simply pop the taper loose on the bellcrank shaft & try to turn it by hand.It should turn fairly easy by hand.It is located near the steering gear,is mounted on the frame between the two drag links,it's black & has three bolts that mount it.The aftermarket replacement is expensive,but well worth it.