Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, We were travelling around Australia and suddenly experienced the motor shutting down (as if turned off) while moving off from an over-night parking. This could occur 2-3 times before running as usual. This later developed into shutting down while driving along the highway!!!! It occured only very occasionally and advice received said change fuel filter, this was done.

The problem abated for awhile then resurfaced a few weeks later. It has now changed slightly and has now developed the additioanl burden of not restarting whereas previously it would restart as if nothing was wrong.

We have had a "TechII" connected but this has not been able to retrieve any fault codes so now we feel as if we are driving a time bomb that could give us terrible grief at any time.

To date no one has any positive probable cause and like most intermittant faults it is difficult to have it occur for demonstartion purposes for those who may be able to help.

Has anyone experienced a similar fault with this motor?? The rig is currently in Australia as we have had to return to New Zealand for a short while.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kiwi Bill
Kiwi Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, We were travelling around Australia and suddenly experienced the motor shutting down (as if turned off) while moving off from an over-night parking. This could occur 2-3 times before running as usual. This later developed into shutting down while driving along the highway!!!! It occured only very occasionally and advice received said change fuel filter, this was done.

The problem abated for awhile then resurfaced a few weeks later. It has now changed slightly and has now developed the additioanl burden of not restarting whereas previously it would restart as if nothing was wrong.

We have had a "TechII" connected but this has not been able to retrieve any fault codes so now we feel as if we are driving a time bomb that could give us terrible grief at any time.

To date no one has any positive probable cause and like most intermittant faults it is difficult to have it occur for demonstartion purposes for those who may be able to help.

Has anyone experienced a similar fault with this motor?? The rig is currently in Australia as we have had to return to New Zealand for a short while.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kiwi Bill
Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kiwi Bill,
Welcome to iRV2. A few questions:

1. When the engine shuts down does the check engine light come on?

2. Do any other warning lights come on?

3. Do you have the OnStar feature in the vehicle?

Not the same engine as yours, but I had the same symptions as you over more than a year. The bottom line is that the problem was the Engine Control Module (ECM) Read Only Memory (ROM) was failing. Nobody found the problem until it finally failed for good. After being towed to the nearest GM dealer, the tech was able to diagnose the problem.

What irritates me is when failing intermittently, no error codes were recorded. Only when the ECM failed completly was the problem found.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Gary

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have OnStar, that I am aware of.

There have not been any engine lights or any other warnings on the dash. It is as if I had turned the key off, scarey!!

I will contact the technician in Brisbane with your suggestion, thank you again.

Bill
Old 11-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #5

Those intermittent problems are the toughest to solve, Does it happen on bumpy roads? Have you tried wiggling the ignition switch, since your not getting any warning lights and you are saying that its like turning the key off, you may be onto something, wiggle the ignition switch while it's running and see if it cuts off, turn the steering wheel to different positions and try again. You may have a worn out or defective ignition switch. Also check the battery cable connections, if they are loose or corroded they can cause that problem too. Good luck on your hunt for the problem!
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #6

Hi Bill,
It says you have a 6.5l Chevy. You are referring to diesel, correct? If so, the problem is the the driver for your fuel injection pump. "The PMD is the small black box the size of a deck of playing cards on the side of your injection pump. It is a signal amplifier that powers the fuel solenoid on your injection pump."
When it starts going bad, the engine will shut off like the key was turned off. If you are lucky it will restart. It will get worse and not start at all.
Try this:
http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/produc...tSync_kit.html
Been there. Replaced mine 2 years ago.

2000 Trek 2830 6.5 Diesel
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I did get a check engine light when the engine shut down (with the ignition switch in the on position). After reading Hillbilly2 and Bob's post, it sounds like either one could be what the answer is.

Please let us know what is found.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi to GaryKD, Hillbilly2 & Bob G

Many thanks for your responses it is really appreciated as the problem has been most concerning not to mention dangerous!!!!

I am now connected to the net at home, thanks goodness and can send this info back to the tech in Brisbane so that when I return in April 09 from NZ I can hopefully resolve this issue.

Be assured that I will copy to all of you the final outcome from these suggestions.

Again, my sincere thanks.

Bill
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 AM   #9

Hi Kiwi Bill, WOW. I have a 6.5 Chevy Diesel in my Oz Winnebago that has been plagued with a very similar problem. I would be desperate to learn if you resolved the issue. I hope this message reaches you.
Thanks,
Pete
OldEmu is offline   Reply With Quote