Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

2004 Journey air filter change

Has anyonee changed their engine air filter? My engine is the Cat 350 HP C7. My filter lays horizonally for and aft above the muffler. My indicator shows about 24. It appears that the filter is removed and inserted from the front of the canister.

Another question. Reading my Cat manual, it says that the reading should be taken at full governed engine speed!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #2

If your filter is like my 03, the "canister" that you mention is actually the filter. You remove the fittings from the ends/side and undo the clamps around the filter. It's not a difficult job but it does require some "adjusting" to get everything aligned properly.

Be sure to wear eye protection because junk will be falling on your face.

ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. The air reading indicates restriction in the air flow & suggests the air filter needs replacement. I'd suggest you reset it and check it again. At one of the RV sessions I attended the technician said passing trucks or sometimes strong side winds can affect the air flow and give incorrect reading on the gauge. Can't hurt to reset it and see if it resisters a lower lever after you drive it. I haven't yet replaced one so I can not answer your specific question.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglewis View Post
Has anyonee changed their engine air filter? My engine is the Cat 350 HP C7. My filter lays horizonally for and aft above the muffler. My indicator shows about 24. It appears that the filter is removed and inserted from the front of the canister.

Another question. Reading my Cat manual, it says that the reading should be taken at full governed engine speed!
Here's the answer to changing your filter

Journey 36G Engine Air Filter Installation
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
Here's the answer to changing your filter

Journey 36G Engine Air Filter Installation

Thanks alot Bob. I had just finished the replacement an came in and read your info and pix. It took me two hours also. The hardest part was, as you said, fitting the engine side hose back on....with one hand!! I finally got it on by rotating the filter from the rear. Great slide show and I'm sure will be a great help to others.

Bernie
Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #6

Good info. I thought that might be a good idea, but hadn't done it. Anyway I'll remember that in the future and if the reading takes a big jump in a short time, I'll reset it and check it.

Thanks,

Bernie
Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
If your filter is like my 03, the "canister" that you mention is actually the filter. You remove the fittings from the ends/side and undo the clamps around the filter. It's not a difficult job but it does require some "adjusting" to get everything aligned properly.

Be sure to wear eye protection because junk will be falling on your face.
Thanks, You are correct. It's a good thing I'm not a big guy, I barely fit in the tight places.

Bernie
Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #8

When we were at Camp Freightliner this spring, we were shown an air cleaner that had very few miles, but had been sitting on a manufacturer/dealer's lot for several years. High humidity had softened the paper element to the point where it came apart and was ingested by the turbo. It did a real number on the turbo and cost big $ to get it repaired.

From that discussion and example, I decided to change our air filter based on elapsed time rather than miles or the differential pressure indicator. Its got be cheaper than running the risk of rebuilding a turbo.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have 64000 miles on our rig, I am 70+ years old have changed ours twice, and am just getting ready to do it again; It's a job but it can be done it an hour or so. Just make sure that it is sealed all the way around; Oh you will have to losen or remove the Mounting bracket, It makes it easier to remove/replace the filter; Good luck The only bad part is the price of the filter [,,