Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #1

2004 Mandalay chassis A/C hose fittings.

I need to replace the 8' a/c hose that runs from the bottom of my condenser to the dryer mounted on the passenger side firewall. The hose is a Goodyear 5/8" hose and it has a 90 fitting on the end that attaches to the condenser as well as a little larger 90 with a port where it connects to the dryer. My local Freightliner dealer quoted me $300+ for the hose, which seems really high. I plan on either making the hose myself or having a local air conditioning/hydraulic hose shop build one. Any ideas on which fittings I would need and where the best place to buy them might be?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #2

I replaced an elbow connection to the condenser.

Dash AC hose repair - iRV2 Forums

Check out this post.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #3

Thank you. I need actual sizes on the fittings since there seem to be different sizes out there. I didn't know if the sizes are standardized for a connection to a condenser and/or the dryer.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Thank you. I need actual sizes on the fittings since there seem to be different sizes out there. I didn't know if the sizes are standardized for a connection to a condenser and/or the dryer.
A/C fittings are available of course...I did a system repair on mine...but consider this.

New hose cost
Fittings cost
Shop to crimp fittings on hose (at least $20/ea plus tax).

So you probably pay about 1/2 of new from FL. Maybe have a shop make you a hose instead?

Then...anytime you open system....flush system....so need flush gun and solvent. Then new condenser as condenser can't be flushed (google if you disagree). Then new filter dryer of course. Plus vacuum evacuation and charging plus more PAG oil for what you have removed.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased many of my a/c fittings from this place:

https://coldhose.com
Old 09-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #6

Find a Parker store or hydraulic hose shop. If they can they will point you to who can. I just had 2 hoses made for $100 at my local Parker.

I have used Cold Hose as well in past.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the replies. I checked with the local hydraulic hose shop and they said they have the fittings and the hose. Should be a good bit cheaper than what I was quoted by Freightliner.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #8

$80 out the door for the hose with fittings. Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

Good deal.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I had the metal 90 at the compressor crack on my 04 Dynasty. Was able to borrow a portable crimper so removed elbow (put plastic cap on the compressor nipple) while I cut the bad elbow off and crimped new one on...reinstalled. Put 3 cans of 134 in without doing anything else...did not pull a vacuum. Blows really cold...rarely have to run the generator/ACs and that was 10 years ago.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis